Thread: Timing

Snowboat
    Can anyone tell me why my 460 Chevy with .700" lift, 112 lobe separation, full roller, with 6/71 blower, magneto, 8.2:1, dual 750's, at 4500 feet eleation, starts much better at 28' rather than 34'?

GofastRacer
    Hey Ken, check your E-Mail!!....... wink

Snowboat
    Gofast: I replied on the board.........I meant that it "lights off better"with less timing. I should have given more info. It has a Don Zig mag with a locked advance. It turns over fine at both totals, 28 and 34, but fires off better at 28. I didn't figure there would be a difference, I was just bumping up the timing to increase the performance. Plugs are AR 13's @.030".

GofastRacer
    Ok, gothcha, the reason is because it's locked out and you are at total advance all the time. To start it easy, just crank the motor before hitting the awitch....

blowngas
    Snowboat:
    Can anyone tell me why my 460 Chevy with .700" lift, 112 lobe separation, full roller, with 6/71 blower, magneto, 8.2:1, dual 750's, at 4500 feet eleation, starts much better at 28' rather than 34'?GFR is right---a mag fired motor is usually started easier with a spinup on the starter and then hit the switch--some people use a lever of sorts to physically move the mag to a lesser timing position for starting(saw an ad for one but can't remember where) anyway, use a good hi-amp battery, a high speed starter(yeah, they cost money)and it should go!----we run about the same combo with an enderle hat on drag boat---

Fiat48
    And close the gap on those plugs. Mags don't put out much when cranking, hense the closer gap plugs. >018 to .020.

GofastRacer
    Fiat48:
    And close the gap on those plugs. Mags don't put out much when cranking, hense the closer gap plugs. >018 to .020.I hear this all the time but I got mine at .032 and it still starts the same as it did with .018, I'm thinking of trying .034, what the heck?. I'm curious to see just how far can you open the gap before it won't start???.........

hulshot
    Ken is this the same cam you just bought a couple of months ago?

Snowboat
    Hulshot: I'm not sure why you are asking. I bought your 29's a couple of months ago. What a difference from 40's. I need to go to an area where there are v drives to check out a few others. I'm thinking Red Rocks next September. The 29's woke the boat up. Not sure if it woke it up too much? I can go 5000 rpms and nail it and she wheelies. Gave the wife a ride (actually let the seventeen year old give her a ride) and she got out and said "what the hell did you do to the boat?" Not having many other boats of the same power to compare with, I'm wondering if I need taller gears or cup the prop or have a smaller diameter and more pitch. She runs up to 7000 at 4500 feet elevation quite fast. With the 40's she would bite rather than slip at first. Back to the cam. I took the Isky and had it reground and it is.......112 lobe center,.680 intake lift, .698 exhaust lift, 272 and 276 duration at .050, intake 24 bdc, 68 adc, exhaust 70 bdc, 26 adc, solid roller, 6/71 @10% over, 14 psi max boost, idles at 1100. Is this worth a damn in a Biesemeyer flat or should I get some George Claysmith advice. Hulshot, you might be thinking about a cam question I had for a 427 in a Howard runner, in the past. Let me know; the gears were a nice deal. Ken

hulshot
    sorry snowboat I just remembered your name and knew I sold somthing to you. Glad to hear the gears woke the boat up. What prop are you running and how does the boat set with it. You want to be able to start from an Idle and jump all over it and the prop should burn hard then launch the boat straight forwards, not on its side. God I miss V-drives. I can go very fast for a long time in my boat now but the adreniline rush is not there and I keep breaking Imco drives.