Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stringer question

charlie f
    I am helping a friend replace the rear stringers in a 78 Taylor SJ, They appear to be 2" x 6" any suggestions as to what kind of wood we should. The old ones were so rotten they were mush.
    These are the stringers that the motor mounts are bolted to.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Wet Dream
    Are they full stringers that run the length of the boat or are boxed at the engine compartment and almost look like a goal post design?

toad polumsky
    Use fir for the stringers

charlie f
    These are the short stringers, like the goal post.

Taylorman
    Originally posted by charlie f
    These are the short stringers, like the goal post.
    You are going to get a million different opinions here. Go to home depot and buy a regular 2x6. I have a 76 SJ and so does a friend of mine and we both have replaced stingers with home depot specials.
    Post a picture of the boat.

Bow Tie Omega
    I replaced the stringers on my boat, they had the Home Depot special 2x6's when I purchased it. I could push my finger thru them right before I removed them, granted this was because of other problems caused prior to the purchase. It was recommended to use kiln dried phillipean mahogany. This stuff is expensive but easily the most dense wood I ever cut. And according to experts, one of the most naturally water resistant woods in the world. I would rather spend the extra money and do this miserable job once then save a few bucks and do it agian in 5-7 years.

CrdStang
    I'm no expert, but I'd say doing a good job of sealing the wood with resin/fiberglass is more important than the kind of wood you use.

moneysucker
    I would use pressure treated 2x6 it will last a long time and will withstand moisture without costing much more. Or if you plan on keeping the boat for ever maybe try Trex that synthetic decking 2x6.
    Cy

Originally posted by CrdStang
    I'm no expert, but I'd say doing a good job of sealing the wood with resin/fiberglass is more important than the kind of wood you use.
    Ats rite! :wink:

BK
    Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
    I replaced the stringers on my boat, they had the Home Depot special 2x6's when I purchased it. I could push my finger thru them right before I removed them, granted this was because of other problems caused prior to the purchase. It was recommended to use kiln dried phillipean mahogany. This stuff is expensive but easily the most dense wood I ever cut. And according to experts, one of the most naturally water resistant woods in the world. I would rather spend the extra money and do this miserable job once then save a few bucks and do it agian in 5-7 years.
    I agree with Omega. Do it right the first time and use kiln dried lumber, weather its mahogany or doug fir. Im no expert by any stretch, but why would you want to glass over wet wood or wood with moisture in it? Why not have all the shrinkage/moisture out before you glass it in? Makes more sense to spend the extra money and do it properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast