Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bacardi Silver Boat??

Lakeshow
    Charley - you are absolutely correct. Frankly, considering what most of have, horsepower wise, in some of these boats it is a miracle that more accidents aren't occurring.
    My .02

BoatFloating
    Charles, I'll disagree with you too. You or I can buy a souped up Corvette, Porsche or (add your favorite here)car and run a buck 50 down the I40 and kill yourself and another person and then the insurance goes up on those makes of cars. Take the same car and become a race team and race IMSA and crash and die and insurance doesn't go up for you and me. I just don't think this accident raises rates. I think if you buy the boat that can run those numbers for pleasure then the rates would be high anyways. Just my .02

Charley
    some of what you guys are saying is absolutely true, but remember there are probably 75-125 million car insurance policies out there in the US to maybe 10-20k boat insurance policies....the less companies that underwrite the less likely it will remain competitive...partially a supply and demand issue.
    PS goin 100 mph is like goin 140 in a car ... goin 140 in a boat must be like having a 180-200 mph car... insure that
    PSS. I may be the only guy in America with a N/A powered boat and a blower on his truck

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Charley
    some of what you guys are saying is absolutely true, but remember there are probably 75-125 million car insurance policies out there in the US to maybe 10-20k boat insurance policies....the less companies that underwrite the less likely it will remain competitive...partially a supply and demand issue.
    PS goin 100 mph is like goin 140 in a car ... goin 140 in a boat must be like having a 180-200 mph car... insure that
    PSS. I may be the only guy in America with a N/A powered boat and a blower on his truck
    I would say there is a few more boat policies than 10-20k You every been to the San Diego Marine. The one accident that does raise rates is the one in Chesapeake Bay that killed the American Turbine owner and friend. Devin at Framers said that was a 2 million dollar payout.
    Blower on your truck your a smart man! It's funny when you get car insurance they don't ask about HP and top speed

Havasu Cig
    There is definitely a correlation between accidents and insurance prices. I am paying the same $$$ for our Cig as I was on our DCB with a much higher replacement value, plus running in the ocean as opposed to inland lakes only.
    The rates have been climbing since I owned my first cat in 96. The one thing that has changed since then is boats are running much faster now, and you seem to see more fatal accidents now as a result. When people are pushing their cats well beyond the 150 range you are going to have accidents, and without full canopies and chase boats there will be more fatalities.
    The high performance insurance companies know that there is less of a chance of me killing myself, or anyone else in my V that runs in the 80's, then a 30' cat running 120+.
    Like I posted in another thread I was just quoted $6790. per year on a cat in the 30' range running in the 115 mph range. This was with a replacement value equal to our Cig, but with much lower liability coverages.
    That is twice the premium that I am paying right now. Hard to justify IMO.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Havasu Cig
    That is twice the premium that I am paying right now. Hard to justify IMO.
    No argument there. I wonder what will come in line the Cat's coming down or the V's coming up.
    You have Fountain and Outerlimits playing the speed game. I wonder if isurance companies can read????

Charley
    Originally posted by BoatFloating
    No argument there. I wonder what will come in line the Cat's coming down or the V's coming up.
    You have Fountain and Outerlimits playing the speed game. I wonder if isurance companies can read????
    No shit huh...that might get interesting!

Tom Slick
    Heck, in the last 2 weeks there have been at least 2 if not 3 large V-bottoms that have wrecked. Did any of you guys catch the Fountain that hooked, throwing the driver and passenger in the drink and then headed full throttle into the shore and ended up 500' up and propt up against a tree? If you go to the OSO site, there are several photos of Fountains that have been in some really RETARDED wrecks.

Havasu Cig
    True there have been a couple V accidents lately, but they do not happen nearly as frequently as cats. And usually the V's that crash are not fatal.
    Most people chasing big speed numbers are doing it in a cat so they are bound to have more accidents, and more fatal ones at that.

Tom Slick
    Originally posted by Havasu Cig
    True there have been a couple V accidents lately, but they do not happen nearly as frequently as cats. And usually the V's that crash are not fatal.
    Most people chasing big speed numbers are doing it in a cat so they are bound to have more accidents, and more fatal ones at that.
    I agree, however accidents are accidents and insurance companies look at any accident as a reason to raise our premiums. For instance, the Fountain that ended up in the woods last week will most likely be a complete write off. With enough of these accidents and claims rates will go up do to the amounts being paid out and the increase in the number of accidents that are happening, fatal or not. Whether it is a cat or a vee, accidents happen and rates go up. And with Fountain and Outerlimits bousting about there speed records and trying to use that as a marketing tool to sell their boats, that will also make the insurance companies look hard at v-bottom insurace as well. I agree though that cats are a bit of a higher risk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast