Thread: how much boost

carreraboat
    i have a bbc with a 8-71 (should have bought a quad rotor whipple)i have 2 750 holleys 8 to 1 comp iron heads and boat at 4000 feet above sea level no intercooler what is the most boost i can use on pump gas

sgdiv7
    I can tell you how I set my boost up then you can form your own opinion. I have had my motor in my boat with no problems for a year now. The engine is a BBC 30 over w/alu. heads 8-71 Weiand two holley hp950's no innercooler and run pump 91 oct.gas 8 lbs. of boost @ 1800 ft. elv. engine water temp. at 180 deg. I bought a MSD knock sensor and I tuned it to the knock sensor. I also used a bore scope to confirm everything like fuel being to rich or lean and any signs of detonation. The thing works great. Just to be on the safe side I do run the fuel mixture just a little on the rich side and run the timing at 34 deg.
    Bill
    http://pstr-m01.ygpweb.aol.com/data/...fwPOCA0180.jpg

carreraboat
    that is one tuff looking boat
    thanks for the advice

Craig
    sgdiv7, that is a cool looking boat! How fast does something like that run on the top end in the right conditions?
    Craig

sgdiv7
    Craig, I really don't know, gps always read 80 something before I had to step on the down pedal or had to lift because of a wake. I go to Bartlet lake for the day when the weather nice. This year I plan to go during the week maybe there won't be so many wake board boats.
    Bill

VD CRUISER
    sgdiv7,
    That thing should reach 80mph in 3 seconds or less. Looks great, what hull is it.