Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1000 + HP

VD CRUISER
    Whipple Charged,
    Think I talked to you a couple weeks ago. The dual quad might be a little pricey for me right now, but how much do you think your intercooler will do for my setup? I run 8 to 1 comp. and 8# of boost with 93 octane, 11# boost with 50% racing gas, 28-30 degrees timing. This seems to work ok, except the head gaskets take a beating at the higher boost level. Do you think the larger volume intake, aluminum heads, would help any?

Whipple Charged
    VDCRUISER,
    I understand. I think the intercooler would make a pretty big difference. You'll lose approx. 1lb. of boost through pressure drop, so your 11lb setup will go to 10, yet more air will be in the cylinder because of it being denser. So, I think you'll be able to take the 10 intercooled with 91 octane. The reason the head gaskets are taking a beating is because it's detonating, which is almost 20 times the cylinder pressure of the normal combustion pressure. I would aslo check that you have 15lbs. of block pressure, operating water temp around 100 at WOT.
    NOt sure what intake you have, but typically speaking, an intake change does very little in a forced induction motor. Aluminum heads will certainly help, probably a set of Dart 355's or Brodix -3's. This will probably be your best upgrade. Will be able to run 1.5-2lbs. more boost than with cast iron or less octane.
    No matter what anybody says, it's harder than people think to make a true 1000hp with a roots blower, especially without aluminum heads, so thats what I would change first, then the camshaft depending on your current specs. The quad setup is the only next bet, can make another 100hp vs. your 1071, $5495 bolts right on your Superchiller.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

VD CRUISER
    Whipple Charged,
    Thanks Dustin! I have a Mooneyham intake. The larger intake I was referring to was the intake volume of the aluminum heads as opposed to my smaller volume steel heads. Can the quad be run with my carburators, and why does it outperform the roots so much? I am using a Fel-Pro head gasket,# 1012 that requires a lock-ring groove in the head. Do you think they are sufficient? I haven't acctually blown one out, but after 2 seasons they looked about ready to go, between the cylinders. Do you know anything about the Canfield aluminum heads? They make a 350 cc intake runner.

Whipple Charged
    VD Cruiser,
    Those head gaskets should be fine, but I've found they don't fit alot of heads that have been opened up. The Canfield heads work very well, they make awesome power. Not sure what intake volume you have now, but at your boost level the larger intakes will work better.
    The reason the screw/Whipple works so much better is that their more efficient. This means they take less energy/hp to operate and create far less heat. The temp allows you to run either more boost/compression, less octane, or more lead. The lower parasatic losses makes more power easier while also being more fuel efficient. A typical setup like yours, we usually see about 100hp/150lbs. of torque increase boost for boost and have seen more in some cases. This is with back to back test. The best way to make power is to run low static compression, high boost levels with an efficient supercharger, but with a roots, the leakage back through the rotors is so bad that it's beneficial to run higher static compression and low boost levels. Screw compressors, turbos, centrifugals like boost, high boost levels, ideally 12-16lbs. Motors still have to be built around this though. Roots are horrible in these ranges. Problem is that centrifugal and turbos can't run low compression on typical applications because they don't make good power down low because they don't have cylinder pressure to make power. So, you have to have a happy median. Screw compressors produce huge air flows at low speeds and have high efficiency for the top end. This equals into the best of both worlds, monstrous low end torque, turbo like horsepower levels. Power is basically the more air and fuel you can shove into the cylinder and combust properly, so the denser the air, cooler the air, and the least amount of energy spent to produce that air will make power the easiest.
    Yes, you can use your carbs, but linkage would have to change. Your 1050's would be plenty.

boat030
    whipple charged, i'm building a 540ci with dart olds.(big chief) heads for a 26 daytona i was planning on using a blower shop 1471. the guy i bought it from (Semper marine) is big on whipple what do you think the bottom line advantage would be to go with a whippple quad.

BOOSTDADDY
    VD CRUISER- YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT ADDING EXTRA HEAD BOLTS DURING YOUR NEXT ENGINE REBUILD.BBC ARE MISSING 2 HEAD BOLTS ON EACH SIDE.ADDING THESE EXTRA HEAD BOLTS WILL BE MANDATORY FOR BIG POWER. THE LOCK WIRE SYSTEM IS A GOOD DEAL, IT WORKS WELL WHEN DONE CORRECTLY. THE TRICK IS GETTING THE GROOVE DEPTH CORRECT. GOOD LUCK!

Whipple Charged
    boat030,
    On a big motor like that, there's a HUGE difference in power. Were talking well over 100hp in power, boost for boost. Not only that, those have huge intakes which need high velocity to help make low end torque. You can run about 12-14lbs. of boost and make around 1200-1400hp depending on compression and camshaft, rpm, etc. Our intercooler will also save you 2", blower will not change in performance, can run long periods of time and have a major cool factor!!
    Thanks,
    Dustin

BOOSTDADDY
    WHIPPLE CHARGED- 12 -14LBS OF BOOST ARE YOU STILL TALKING ABOUT PUMP GAS?
    YOU CAN MAKE 1200-1300 HP WITH A ROOTS STYLE BLOWER, THE TRICK IS KNOWING HOW! GUYS LIKE STERLING PERFORMANCE AND KEITH EICKERT AND RICHIE ZUL HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS!

RumRunner
    But what kind of blowers are they using Daddy ?

BOOSTDADDY
    Rumrunner- I beleive they all are using Blower Shop 14-71's. There is a little more to it than just the right Supercharger.Its knowing how to do the rest of the set up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast