Thread: Compression Problems

Rocket
    Here we go... 502 mag, Wiped out cam on mothers day, had motor rebuilt w/ minor upgrades, head work, cam (Reputible local machine shop, He knows the difference between auto and marine application) after inital cam break in, lanched boat for initial run, felt fine but noticed a squeek after about ten minutes of run time. Could not pick up location but with mechanic on with me it did not sound serious. 40 min later making different random rpm changes squeek changed pitch (high to low) then quit. Had decided that it had to be a alternator bearing or something of that nature. Then it hit! running around 34 to 3600 Rpms the motor developed a miss I mean the damn thing developed a shudder, pulled wires of dist foud that 1 and 7 had no change. checked compression on the two suspects, barely moved needle on gage. Called motor builder, he said he would pull heads and fix whatever it was (covering his ass) well to help end this thread. What else should I be worried about? He really seems concerned and willing to fix his screw up but........ am I the one screwed here or what???
    [ July 24, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Rocket ]

comin' unscrewed
    Sounds like the left bank head gasket wasn't torqued correctly. Of course you won't really know until it comes apart. Since he says he'll make it right I don't see a screwing. At least, not yet......

djdtpr
    You should feel good about the fact that he wants to take care of it and he is not trying to point fingers to take the blame off him,sounds like a pretty good guy for once.Was there water in the oil after all this happend?Cause a blown head gasket on #1&7 only have one place to go and thats into the water ports,well good luck post when u find out what happend.

Rocket
    I checked the oil after I pulled the plugs and the stick looked good. I had worried at first, The plug threds had a milky looking substance on them. My Mercruser Mec there with me just grinned and said it was anti seize he had dressed the fresh threads with. Im not too worried bout my motor builder, but to drop 6gs and have all the warm fuzzie feeling shot to hell about finally getting my boat wet and well as you can see the I really just want to puke feeling took over so.....here I am venting among the few people who understand.

Rocket
    Found bad lifter It just gave up the farm!!
    Seeing how it is a Mercruser motor kit they have agreed to replace all and pay for total repairs. Shew!!! I guess now the fingerpointing will be over wink
    Thanks for all that wondered if I had gone stir crazy. 2 months down,be wet by weekend
    [ July 31, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Rocket ]