Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: **** Screw Howard Stern ****

Phat Matt
    Originally posted by THOR
    I remember the edge 103.5 when I lived there. I remember the xmas rock too. That was cool.
    The Jingle Bell Rock was a huge promotion for us.
    When I first moved to Vegas, a little over 6 years ago, that station rocked. Similar to KROQ back home. That was all I listened to, then it went spanish.
    The station was a great station for sure. It left a big void in Vegas radio but when you are privately owned the big boys money speaks volumes! I miss Vegas so I still go up there at least once a month.

HighRoller
    Anyone who listens to him can tell a lot about him within 10 minutes. First, despite his celbrity and status, he's still incredibly insecure about himself. He obviously thought that hanging with hot chicks and famous people would make him a real man finally. But deep down he knows they only like him because he's famous, not for who he his. That's why he's a bitter, angry little putz over all of this. His show has no substance, in my opinion. After all, how many times can you ask a chick if she's done anal, been with a chick or ask to show her boobs before people start yawning? The man refuses to honestly debate the issue of free speech, using the bully pulpit instead to try and insult those who oppose his views. The rules have always been out there, designed to keep broadcasting a medium that has a bit of decency and decorum. Yes, the enforcement has been tougher these days but tough s%&t! Why doesn't he rise to the challenge and entertain us without being obscene, filthy or derogatory? Answer? HE CAN"T!!!!! He's a one trick pony with no talent and his schtick is getting old. I've never heard him give a "good" interview to anyone.

OutCole'd
    High Roller, sounds like for some one you do not like, you sure listen a lot.
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    Anyone who listens to him can tell a lot about him within 10 minutes. First, despite his celbrity and status, he's still incredibly insecure about himself. He obviously thought that hanging with hot chicks and famous people would make him a real man finally. But deep down he knows they only like him because he's famous, not for who he his. That's why he's a bitter, angry little putz over all of this. His show has no substance, in my opinion. After all, how many times can you ask a chick if she's done anal, been with a chick or ask to show her boobs before people start yawning? The man refuses to honestly debate the issue of free speech, using the bully pulpit instead to try and insult those who oppose his views. The rules have always been out there, designed to keep broadcasting a medium that has a bit of decency and decorum. Yes, the enforcement has been tougher these days but tough s%&t! Why doesn't he rise to the challenge and entertain us without being obscene, filthy or derogatory? Answer? HE CAN"T!!!!! He's a one trick pony with no talent and his schtick is getting old. I've never heard him give a "good" interview to anyone.

1stepcloser
    Originally posted by Phat Matt
    I have to chime in here because I work in radio. The rules ARE vague. They are subject to ones interpretation. Here they are in a nutshell.
    ...any depiction or description of "sexual or excretory activities or organs" in a manner that it deems "patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium."
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    Can you explain to me how that is black and white with no gray area? What may be "patently offensive" to you may not be to others so if it is based upon "community standards" when does the community get a say so? Or is the "community" the opinion of who our elected officials chose to run the FCC?
    I'd say this is the correct answer, with emphasis on elected officials.
    The phrase "contemporary community standards" should be clear and easy to interpret to most people.
    If you are the in the minority of broadcasters using certain words and/or phrases that are socially unacceptable, that then, to me anyway, would not fall under the "contemporary community standards".
    In other words, if your the only (english speaking) show on the dial using these potentially offensive words and/or phrases then, my friend, you aint following "contemporary community standards".
    It ironic to me how much Howard complains about the direction our society is heading....

Phat Matt
    Originally posted by OutCole'd
    High Roller, sounds like for some one you do not like, you sure listen a lot.
    And that's a good point. Love him or hate him, as long as you are listening you are still hearing commercials and people like me are still making money!

Phat Matt
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by 1stepcloser
    [B]Seems pretty clear to me.
    Cool. Could you make me a list of all the phases and words that break the FCC rules and don't? Just so I'm clear. It shouldn't take to long because it is so clear.
    And why is it spanish radio broadcast in the states can get away with saying "**** your mom" in spanish on air?

HighRoller
    Actually, I didn't want to be a hypocrit. At first, I tuned in because of all the excitement about his show. After an hour I was unimpressed and figured it was just a slow day for Howard. A few weeks later I tuned in again and found him doing the same schtick. I didn't laugh, wasn't entertained, and was actually bored. I began to wonder why everyone loves this guy. I have probably listened to him a grand total of four hours in my whole life, just so I could speak about his program without people accusing me of never listening. Trust me, four hours is more than enough to get a picture of who this guy is. Oh, I've also watched a few of the televised shows on E! and found the same thing to be true.

eliminatedsprinter
    I see him on E network when I channel serf at night sometimes. It's always the same played out stuff. I'll watch about a min or 2 and then be gone. I would never wait through a commercial to see his show come back. To be blunt, I don't care if he's nasty. It's just that he seems dim witted and dull to me..

OutCole'd
    [B]Seems pretty clear to me.
    And why is it spanish radio broadcast in the states can get away with saying "**** your mom" in spanish on air?
    I guess Bush is only trying to save the non spanish speaking people??

1stepcloser
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    Cool. Could you make me a list of all the phases and words that break the FCC rules and don't? Just so I'm clear. It shouldn't take to long because it is so clear.
    Matt, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you, as you are in this business and I am not.
    The "rules in a nutshell" as you posted them seemed pretty easy to understand to me.
    You answered your own question, "in my opinion" when you stated:
    "if it is based upon "community standards" when does the community get a say so? Or is the "community" the opinion of who our elected officials chose to run the FCC?"
    As I said, Yes, I would believe "the community" is represented by those "elected officials". Again, keyword is "Elected."
    Again, as I posted, If Howies type of "shock Jock" schtick was on every radio station during the morning drive, I would say it was a "contemporary community standard", BUT, as we know there is only one Howard, and sadly, his show does not conform to what is demonstrated as "standard"
    Thats a very good question.
    Maybe thats the "contemporary spanish community standard"?
    Or maybe the FCC schleps dont understand spanish.
    Anyway.....I'm done here, and if we meet at Havasu, I'll be happy to have this debate with you then, over a couple of beers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast