Thread: Valve tap???

737jetmech
    I just installed 2 new engines and one has a valve making a little noise (Hydraulic lifters) .I adjusted them again on both engines and the noise is still there.Do you guys think its a bad lifter?The tap noise is not super loud ... but its there!
    Everything is Edelbrock ... Cam , lifters , heads... Should I run it and hope it gets better with time?It fades in and out with rpm changes.

737jetmech
    more ... in the boat

HammerDown
    Well, it could be a bad (new) lifter. Or the noise could be coming from some where else as in the case with my Corvette's bad mechanical fuel pump (had a valve like tick), this was after I also rebuilt those heads.
    Or the Cam Lobe is going by-by.
    If you ran it for a bit, pull the valve cover and look for any junk up in the top of the offending head...also cut open the oil filter.
    When my cam wiped out (remember)? it happened with a tap that would'nt go away...I dumped the oil after the 1'st 20 minute break in, it was full of silver dust. And within another 15 minutes the Cam Lobe and #8 lifter were toast and the rocker arm barley moved when I spun the engine over.
    Next rebuild...I broke in the new Cam and lifters with only the outter valve springs in.
    Good luck.

Hydraulic Flats or Rollers?
    Chris

737jetmech
    Thanks Ray,
    The reason that I think it may be a bad (new lifter) is that the noise was there when engine was first fired... (before any possibility of a cam wiping out a lobe).It fades in and out like a lifter may be bleeding down.

737jetmech
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    Hydraulic Flats or Rollers?
    Chris
    Flats.

I would isolate the noise and check the rocker to see if you have added clearance.
    Chris