Thread: 502+250 BLOWER CAMS?,CARB?

I HAVE A STOCK 502 MAG (GEN V)WITH LESS THAN 200HRS ON IT.I BELIVE THIS ENGINE HAS FORGED PISTONS AND CRANK IN IT WITH 8.75:1 COMPRESSION.
    THIS IS IN A 29FT PROFILE DEEP VEE,APPROX 4200LBS.
    IT HAS THROUGH TRANSOM EXHAUST WITH SILENT CHOICE, BUT STOCK MANIFOLDS AND RISERS.
    I ALSO HAVE A B&M 250 SUPERCHARGER I'M PLANNING ON PUTTING ON IT.
    I DONT WANT TO GET REAL CRAZY,JUST MORE RELIABLE POWER.I"M PLANNING ON KEEPING THE BOOST LOW ,APPROX 5LBS AND RUNNING PREMUIM FUEL.
    I'M LOOKING TO BULD MORE TORQUE THAN TOP END HORSEPOWER.
    SO HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
    1) WHAT CARB OR CARBS DO YOU RECOMMEND(I DON'T PLAN ON TURNING IT MUCH MORE THAN 5000RPM).
    2) WHAT CAMSHAFT?I WANT TO STICK WITH A FLAT TAPPET HYDAULIC AND DO NOT MIND A ROUGH IDLE.I CAN NOT SWITCH TO HYD ROLLER,TOO MUCH$$$$.
    3)SHOULD I CHANGE THE HEAD GASKETS TO SOMETHING ELSE?A LITTLE THICKER TO LOWER COMPRESSION?
    4)IGNITION TIMING/ADVANCE RECOMENDATIONS?DIFFERENT MODULE?
    5)AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST WHAT KIND OF POWER CAN I EXPECT OUT OF THIS SET UP.
    I KNOW I NEED TO UPGRADE THE EXHAUST,IF ANYONE HAS SOME GOOD USED(GIL,IMCO,STAINLESS,ETC) FOR SALE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    THANKS FOR YOU HELP.

Infomaniac
    If you are running pump gas and as you said want reliable power I would suggest:
    A single 1000 CFM Holley HP
    Call Crane and get the cam they supplied for B&M when they were building the blowers. It is a good one.
    Bolt all of this on and do not take the heads off.
    Make damn sure you have a good fuel pump and the fuel tank outlet is not too small.
    How much power is anyones guess, but it will pick up considerably.
    The two carb setup recommended in the other thread adds much complexity to the throttle linkage and fuel lines. I have made 635 ft.lbs of torque and 600 HP with a single 1000 HP carb. and B&M 250. Had stainless marine manifolds also. this was a small block Chevy. You could probably expect as bit more from a big block.
    [ November 05, 2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Hotcrusader76
    I agree with that as well. A single Dominator or even a 4150 set-up 1050cfm would suffice.

gnarley
    PROFILE:
    [QB]I HAVE A STOCK 502 MAG (GEN V)WITH LESS THAN 200HRS ON IT.I BELIVE THIS ENGINE HAS FORGED PISTONS AND CRANK IN IT WITH 8.751 COMPRESSION.
    THIS IS IN A 29FT PROFILE DEEP VEE,APPROX 4200LBS.
    QB]Hey Profile Learn to type with your caps lock off

Thanks for the advice.
    Sorry about the caplock Gnarley.