Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do these prices look right to you guys?

502procharger
    Prices Quoted from my engine builder for my new 540 bbc
    crane roller cam $300
    roller lifters $525.00
    manely severe duty intake valves $200.00
    inconnel exhaust valves $360.00
    race gasket set $160.00
    speed pro file fit rings $150.00
    .80 wall 1piece pushrod $144.00
    please let me know what you guys think of these prices. also let me know if you know where to get this stuff cheep. eek!

DUCKY
    Cam and everything else is about right. Lifters are too high though. About $280 from a disount place, so I'd say 300-325 retail.

DogHouse
    280 would be about right for the standard issue rollers. Any of the light weight or severe duty sets will be more, although 525 still sounds a little high.
    -brian

revndave
    PRICES LOOK OK.I WOULD USE FARIA SS VALVES.THEIR SS VALVE IS BETTER THAN MOST INCONEL VALVES.

KC
    I just had a set of heads built, $380 for the FARIA SS all around. KC

Fiat48
    Roller lifters may be the severe duty ones by Comp..they are about that price. All other prices in line. Don't piss your engine builder off by buying parts elsewhere when he is giving you a fair deal as it looks like he is. When your engine is on the operating table, it's life is in his hands.

DogHouse
    Good point Fiat48, but I was a little peeved when my builder charged me 900 bucks (plus tax plus shipping) for a Scat crank I could have mail ordered for 300 bucks less not including the tax savings... Especially since he was already charging top $$$ for labor and machine work. That's a tough question. The builders kind of have you over a barrel when your motor is in pieces on their bench. From now on I'll be doing more of the work myself assuming I have the time.
    -brian

If you start pinching pennies by buying the parts yourself all you will do is piss the builder off and void whatever warranty he would give you because he does not have to warrant "your" parts. Is he not allowed a fair profit for his work and expertise? It is not in your good interest to piss off the builder at this point. Next engine you build have the machine work done by the machine shop and build it yourself and when you run over your crankshaft you have no one to blame but yourself.

502procharger
    relax there buddie. i just wanted to see if these were fair prices or not. i am not pennie pinching, nor have i ever when it comes to any of my boats or motors. This is a new builder i am working with and a few of the prices seemed a little strange to me. i have had, and have myself built many other motors and i have never paid $525.00 for a set of crain roller lifters. i was just looking for some input from the rest of you gear heads. thank you everyone for the input.

565edge
    502procharger:
    relax there buddie. i just wanted to see if these were fair prices or not. i am not pennie pinching, nor have i ever when it comes to any of my boats or motors. This is a new builder i am working with and a few of the prices seemed a little strange to me. i have had, and have myself built many other motors and i have never paid $525.00 for a set of crain roller lifters. i was just looking for some input from the rest of you gear heads. thank you everyone for the input.Buy from shafiroff racing engines,they back there shit,great prices,free shipping,no tax,there prices are pretty low,but they only sell the best,talk to pete,they have a web site www.shafiroff.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast