Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tach jumps

v-drive
    My old mechanical tach jumps like crazy. I have put one end in a drill chuck and it works fine. so I am assuming that something is going on in the unit mounted to the v-drive. has this happened to anyone else or does anyone no what is going on.
    Thanks...... v-drive

v-drive
    You guys are going to make me crawl into this old b#^*h not knowing anything aren't you?.:frown: v-drive

Fiat48
    Usually the jumping is caused by the tach cable. Pack the cable with a cable lube (Mystik grease is what speedo shops use) and then give it a try. Pack the hell out of the cable.
    We flatbottom guys always preferred the Jones Tattletale tach. You weren't shit if you didn't have one. We'd make a hard pass (maybe 7000 rpm) and the tattletale would read about 9,000. Then we'd all swear to god it was accurate.

This happened back when i had my VW Bug right before the cable snapped. My guess was that the cable lub was gone or hard and the cable was binding up and then letting go causing the jumps.

v-drive
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Usually the jumping is caused by the tach cable. Pack the cable with a cable lube (Mystik grease is what speedo shops use) and then give it a try. Pack the hell out of the cable.
    We flatbottom guys always preferred the Jones Tattletale tach. You weren't shit if you didn't have one. We'd make a hard pass (maybe 7000 rpm) and the tattletale would read about 9,000. Then we'd all swear to god it was accurate.
    F48
    So reading between the lines you're saying the mechanical tach
    is not really accurate.
    Shaun
    I love vw's, all of my boys started out with one and the daughter had a ghia.
    Thanks for your input guys........v-drive

Fiat48
    They always jumped around on a hard pass. We always figured cable wind up. Just lube up the cable and see how it goes.

Infomaniac
    Good advice.
    Did you know you can tighten the cable up by twisting it? Hold one end and twist the other by hand.

BGMAN203
    You also might wanna check the pigtail that goes into the top shaft, sometimes that slips and catches, that would make the tach jump also.

v-drive
    Originally posted by BGMAN203
    You also might wanna check the pigtail that goes into the top shaft, sometimes that slips and catches, that would make the tach jump also.
    Actually I think that's the problem and i'm hoping that twisting the cable tighter willl stabilize it. v-drive

BGMAN203
    I was having that problem, so I just mixed up a little JB weld and set it in there. Its been holding ever since!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast