Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Settle an argument for us....

manuel
    There are fakes that fool the pro's, the cases are identical, at the watch shows they open them up to prove it, my friend has a fake that is solid 18K gold but fake movement, but he was told it was a fake when he bought it, my Submariner (3 years old) would lose about 10 min. a week, I sent it to the service center and they would only calibrate it if I also had it cleaned, $375. I said why would a 3 year old waterproof watch need cleaning ?, I sold it for $1,800. and bought an Omega seamaster, not as impressive but it keeps better time, and just because a Rolex has the box,papers,tags don't be fooled, they sell ALL of that on ebay

Debbolas
    So, I couldn' t buy one for Mr. Scream for around $500?
    What is another good watch?

PlyaPlya22
    If not I'm sure he'd take the dough!LOL

Debbolas
    Doh!
    LOL

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by Debbolas
    So, I couldn' t buy one for Mr. Scream for around $500?
    What is another good watch?
    Timex. Keeps just as good time.... Best 50.00 I've ever spent.

Cheap Thrills
    Rolexs has a few distinguishable features about them.
    sweep second hand No tic ,tic, each second usually a 16 count 8 step second hand also a hack second hand meaning it stops when the crown is pulled . lock down crown. perpetual motion (self winding ) in full rotation not ratchet . screw down back , solid metals no base metal . check for crispness in all markings including the crown stamp on the winding stem. A true Rolex is purrrrfect.
    also if you could unscrew the back and look at the works it will be tagged with the Rolex brand along with the production date.
    also a good Rolex dealer can tell the difference if he takes the time to do a thorough inspection.
    If you have any doubts about the watch your getting ready to drop a load of cash on , move on theres more out there .
    if youre into collecting older watches the Bouliva Accutrons are a good model to watch esp the 214 model and theres no counterfiets because of the tuning fork workings
    (the watch that hums ) it was the first electronic watch on the market highly respected NASA used Accutron time pieces on the Appollo spacecraft
    Just My .02
    Latah gang
    C.T. :wink:

Mandelon
    Originally posted by dimarcobros
    How can you tell if a Rolex is real?
    DMB
    Smash it with a hammer. Real Rolexes can take it. If its fake it will break easily.......

19cobaltcd
    I have some fake Rolex's I got last year in Italy. From what I've heard some jewelers have a hard time telling it. I wear it all the time and it never looses a second. It has a smooth sweep, is self winding and quiet. They only cost me 75.00 each. Best money I ever spent.

spectras only
    Any good watchmaker can tell the diff between real and fake watches.They would open the back to inspect the movements for sure.I personally like old school mechanical watches , even though I have a 1980 model 18Karat Eterna quartz with 7 rubies [helps to last much longer]in the movement.My brother used to fix watches like Longines ,Omega, Eterna ,Movado , Patek Philippe etc....and watching him I've got smitten by swiss machines for ever.However the newer Seiko watches are excellent value for what they cost [they have a self wind model] and keep time as accurate as any swiss watch.Omega has a comeback after a long priod of quality problems, Breitlings are really nice and expensive[ no wonder it was standard issue for the german airforce and the Gestapo ].I think Rolex starts at 1500-2000 for base model. Tudor is a sideline for rolex and much cheaper.To sum it up , a real Rolex will last a lifetime if taken care of.

Cheap Thrills
    Originally posted by spectras only
    the newer Seiko watches are excellent value for what they cost [they have a self wind model] and keep time as accurate as any swiss watch.
    Just so I wouldnt wear my Accutron all the time
    I just bought a Seiko 5 automatic (selfwinding) a couple of weeks ago . solid stainless case day date and water resistant for $35.00 New ! It hasnt lost a min. since I put it on. Ive had older Seikos back when they cost a fortune and they still tick .
    Hopefully the new ones will stand the test of time too.
    theres a couple of em on E bay at about the same price.
    C.T. :wink:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...127Seiko_5.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast