Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: truck driver in Parker,Az

AzDon
    The company I work for has added a permanent position and has an immediate need for a Class a (1) truck driver. We transload liquid chemicals from railcars and deliver loads of between 4 and 7 thousand gallons mostly to locations in the L.A. area, phoenix, and Vegas. Most of the runs are turn-and-return in one shift, although there are also some northwest and Bay area trips as well. The mileage and hourly rates are the same for a new hire as I make after 8 1/2 years and the work is distributed VERY fair and evenly. When we get slow, the number 4 guy might work slightly less than the #1 guy (me!) but I don't see that happening anytime soon!
    Applicants should be prepared to work up to 70 hours a week and they are 60% nighttime hours and may be any day of the week (including Sat and Sun) The job will also include some days working in the yard and can include plumbing, maintenance, loading, weeding and even sometimes digging ditches by hand! This is work that's generally offered when business is slow, and at our hourly rate, it's unlikely that someone won't volunteer for this stuff. Know this though: If a ditch needs digging, my boss picks up a shovel as well and does more than his share of the work. He's the best guy I've worked for EVER in 32 years!
    Requirements:
    Class A-1 license with ALL endorsements excluding motorcycle, passenger, and doubles/triples. Employees are generally expected to live within 50 miles of Parker, Az.
    Applicants WILL be asked to take a physical and drug test (it's the law!) and employees are subject to random testing and are required to take a DOT physical at company expense every two years. Tank Truck experience is definitely a plus, but a clean MVR and stable work history are more important and we will fully train for tanker duty. Oh yeah, almost forgot..... because of homeland security concerns, all applicants recieve an EXTENSIVE background check and must be legally able to work in the U.S. You'll need to provide (by law) 10 years of work history.
    Our terminal is the western beachhead of a company that is one of the top 5 revenue-producing tank-truck carriers in the nation. We have excellent health benefits, 401k, profit sharing, and safety bonuses. I made 42k last year, so I can almost gaurantee that the hiree for this position cannot possibly do any less than 25K. Positions at this facility almost never become available because nobody ever leaves! The truck is an International conventional prosleeper built in this century with a Cummins and ten speed, a/c, P/S, and Jake.
    If you have the qualifications, and would seriously consider applying for this job, please PM me for contact info (we're trying to limit tire-kicking phone calls) or apply in person at 720 20th st. in Parker (access is from the corner of Geronimo and 18th... look east for the tank trailers)
    Tell my boss (Mr. Paul Wheatley) that AzDon from the messageboards referred you
    ....BTW- I get no recruiting bonus for this....we are just SO busy that I'm getting very little time for boating, but getting HUGE paychecks....I'm a generous guy that's more than willing to share the wealth!

twistedpair
    That sure seems like a lot of hours for that kind of money. I guess I thought truckers made more than that.

AzDon
    Trucking only APPEARS to be a good paying job BECAUSE OF long hours! 70 hours is a standard workweek and because it's mostly paid by the mile, there is no overtime pay. It is the job that every politician mentions as a cereer to retrain for.
    People that hint that I'm angry because I haven't made the best choices for myself should consider this:
    I'm pretty much at the top of my field, I love what I do and I'm good at it. After over 30 years, I AM a truck driver and probably would be unable to find a 42k a year job in another field. It is frustrating to accept that I work longer hours for less money than just about any other field with similar job requirements pays!
    Like it or not, trucks are on the road because they move ALL the goods for society, but as an industry, trucking is cutthroat competitive and most entities that depend on the service place an artificially low value on it because of this.
    I'm just trying to stay happy in my little piece of paradise and get through my life without experiencing financial disasters. I provide the best possible service to society, my company and our customers knowing that I'm always going to work long hours for the best pay my field offers, even if competition forces it to be less than great. I am a professional and a level-headed driver that would never consider terrorizing anybody with a truck. Safety of the motoring public is job #1 for me, even when others drive like idiots!

Jrocket
    I made more than that working 5 days a week hauling sand and gravel.Worked local and never had to work a week end ever.I think your home location is holding you back.You can find a higher paying driving job,maybe not where you live though.I love to drive trucks but you do hit a limit in whatever trucking company you work for.I wanted a better future and more money so I got out of it.My new job isnt as fun but I have a better future and almost double the income.It all comes down to if your happy or not with what you have.

HammerDown
    Originally posted by twistedpair
    That sure seems like a lot of hours for that kind of money. I guess I thought truckers made more than that.
    Teamster Car Hauler (big rig with cars on it) ...the best I did was mid 70's at just over 40-50 hrs a week. But busting A$$ to get it.
    Some senior drivers bust 100K !

Jrocket
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    Teamster Car Hauler (big rig with cars on it) ...the best I did was mid 70's at just over 40-50 hrs a week. But busting A$$ to get it.
    Some senior drivers bust 100K !
    Thats alot better.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Yup these companys advertise how much money you can make driving truck. They fail to mention you will be working two weeks for every week.
    I do it every week and it blows.......

AzDon
    In the Colorado river area, this job is considered a "keeper" job where wages are a deciding factor. I'm sure there are better paying jobs in national longhaul and that trucking jobs in the big cities have that potential, although the job I left in L.A. pays no more now than it did when I left 12 years ago. Construction is hot in Havasu right now and dirt-and-rock drivers are probably doing okay, but that work is cyclical and could be gone if conditions change or if we run out of vacant lots.
    My wife and I pay cash for cheaper, used autos and toys and have resisted taking money from our house, so our lifestyle fits the pay scheme of the local economy.
    Nobody has offered us triple the wages to return to city life, so we like it just fine here!

twistedpair
    Originally posted by AzDon
    My wife and I pay cash for cheaper, used autos and toys and have resisted taking money from our house, so our lifestyle fits the pay scheme of the local economy.
    That is called 'living within your means'. If more people in this country would try that, we would all be a lot better off. If I could make a decent living in LHC, I'd be there tomorrow, and it would take way more than triple income to move me to the 'big city'. Hell, Vegas is way to big for me.

AzDon
    Unfortunately, wages for most kind of jobs like truck drivers lag until a serious shortage of qualified applicants becomes apparent. This usually happens in the long-haul sector where the BS factor creates a high-turnover atmosphere to begin with. When the OTR wages become notoriously higher, local/regional wages eventually rise also.
    That I'm not in control of my wages is a given. What I can try to control is the outflow of $$$. I try to live simply and spend as little as possible. I have a quality v-drive cruiser that I bought cheap and fixed up. My cars fit this strategy, as well.
    Now if our a-hole,energy insider president would get busy working for US instead of companies like enron and exxon, I could actually afford boat gas in addition to commuting gas and electricity!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast