Thread: Aluminum intake

wbrenw
    Will an Edelbrock 2101 fit my '89 350 Mag? Should I worry about the aluminum and the whole dissimilar metals thing if I'm running in salt water/raw water cooled?

As far as I know it should fit the engine...Salt corrosion is a major factor with any unprotected equipment subjected to salt water both on the outside but particularly on the inside of the water jackets. If you run in salt a lot I'd recommend coating or plating the manifold. If it was mine I would hard anodize the manifold before installation. This won't prevent salt corrosion, but will drastically lengthen the time it takes to significantly corrode to the point it becomes not usable. But for the cost of a 2101, who cares, run it a few years and just replace it. just my .02.

Dennis Moore
    If you have an empty hole in the water cross over passage you can install a zinc that is connected to a pipe plug. The zinc will self sacrifice and help protect the manifold. For freshwater protection you should use magnesium. Change it often!
    Dennis Moore

77charger
    wbrenw:
    Will an Edelbrock 2101 fit my '89 350 Mag? Should I worry about the aluminum and the whole dissimilar metals thing if I'm running in salt water/raw water cooled?If the 2101 is for use with 87 and newer heads yes it will work.The difference in the 87 heads is the center bolts on the intake they are strait or at an angle i am not sure which ones are the older or newer!I just looked at part numbers the 2101 is for 87 and earlier heads the 2104 is for 87 and up.If you have centerbolt valve covers you are out of luck!

DUCKY
    You can modify the 2101 with a die grinder and it will work. Cut those four center holes in the manifold into slots and it will work just fine. I have done it several times.

wbrenw
    So basically the only difference is the way the 4 center holes are angled, otherwise its the same cast...Ideally I get a 2104. Thanks to all.

77charger
    wbrenw:
    So basically the only difference is the way the 4 center holes are angled, otherwise its the same cast...Ideally I get a 2104. Thanks to all.only difference is the holes.I have heard of sloting them too but i have never done that.