Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me with this regarding freeze plugs?

I took my boat out last Friday for a boat test at Lake Elsinore and noticed dripping between the bell housing and engine block. I wasnÂ’t sure what it was so today I filled the block with water via a garden hose and thought it might be a rear freeze plug. I have several questions: first could this leak be something else and second if it is a freeze plug is there any way to replace it with out taking the engine out of the boat? I took some pictures today of the leak under a little pressure via the garden hose. The leak is not as bad under a normal load at the lake. Any help would be appreciated.

Wet Dream
    There could be several places its coming from. Do you see any traces of water from the intake manifold ports, or maybe water splashing off of the flywheel that kicks it up from the bilge?

I didn't notice any water on the manifold. I thought that the water could be kicking off the flywheel when I was at the lake but now that I filled the block with water via the garden hose I know that is not it.

Wet Dream
    If you are running a wide open garden hose through the engine (provided your home has good water pressure) you could be pushing water past the seals or gaskets. Same thing with the pressure from the jet feeding the block. If its too high, it will create its own leaks.

mgar_red
    By looking at your pics, it seems you have water squirting out at two diff places: between the block and oil filter, and another stream going towards your u-joints.
    I'm kinda thinking you might have a blown head gasket. There may not be any water in your oil if the leak is right at the edge and flowing outwards. Might want to take your oil filter off and do a leak test again to see where it was coming from. Maybe the coil braket also.

Nucking futs
    It looks to me as if the freeze plugs,but kind of hard from thi pics.You dont have to pull the engine to replace them and imo i would just chang them out with the brass plugs and go from there. the plugs are cheap and easy to install then if the leak is still there start looking elsewhere, just my .02 cents

I want to post some more pictures before I pulled the engine to replace the rear freeze plugs. The pictures are taken from under the oil filter between the bellhousing and the block. There is a small drip of water coming from where I would think that the freeze plug is located. Any other suggestions besides the freeze plugs? Any impute would be greatly appreciated.
    http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/PICT0097.JPG
    http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/PICT0092.JPG

CrdStang
    Just start taking stuff apart until you can be sure where the leak is coming from..

Thanks for the info guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast