Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Capacitors....Interesting discussion!

rivercrazy

ROZ
    This post from Richard Clark cracks me up...lol :
    results?????--------i can guess that------they are a couple hundred dollars lighter in the wallet and their car weighs a few pounds more-------the rest is up to their imagination...........RC

rivercrazy
    Or these Richard Clark quotes:
    "really i can't understand how an entire industry can be so duped into buying what is probably millions of dollars of blue sky"
    "car audio" caps are complex, eye pleasing devices designed by "markineers"---------looks before function"
    "ANYBODY come show me how one of these pieces of junk can actually help the power demands of a 12v system and i promise to go to IRAQ and stand in the center of Baghdad and curse Allah..............RC"

1stepcloser
    :sleeping: I'm going back to bed......for a while....
    I thought I heard something about capacitors.....

ROZ
    He does say that his theory about basic caps is viable, but anything beyond is rediculous....
    His signature is on Monster's caps..

1stepcloser
    His signature is on Monster's caps..
    Sure is!...
    He never said he doesnt believe in the marketing of them, just doesnt believe in their value.
    Well, other than their financial value. (to him)
    It could be argued that this is a very good example of hypocrisy..... but I doubt that it would ever go anywhere.

h2oski2fast
    Back in the day caps worked well with unregulated power supplies in amplifiers. Charging systems would put out 14.5 (or so) volts, so the caps would charge to 14.5, then buffer between the amplifier draws and the output of the alternator above the battery voltage. Unregulated amplifiers would put out more watts at higher voltage. Thus the reason people where running 3-6volt batteries in series (18v) for SPL comps (untill they outlawed the higher voltages). I believe there is no need for them with most of the amps made today, as long as the battery systems is setup correctly w/the correct batteries.
    It makes me laugh that people don't want to spend the money from the price difference of an Optima to an Oddyssey, but will not hesitate to spend $100+ for a cap that will have less benefit.

ROZ
    Back in the day caps worked well with unregulated power supplies in amplifiers. Charging systems would put out 14.5 (or so) volts, so the caps would charge to 14.5, then buffer between the amplifier draws and the output of the alternator above the battery voltage. Unregulated amplifiers would put out more watts at higher voltage. Thus the reason people where running 3-6volt batteries in series (18v) for SPL comps (untill they outlawed the higher voltages). I believe there is no need for them with most of the amps made today, as long as the battery systems is setup correctly w/the correct batteries.
    It makes me laugh that people don't want to spend the money from the price difference of an Optima to an Oddyssey, but will not hesitate to spend $100+ for a cap that will have less benefit.
    So then you wouldnot put a 50farrad cap on your 200watt amp?

cdog
    As far as caps go. I have one and used it on my system. I bought it for my work truck a couple of years back and reused it with the two alum cone eclipse subs and a bp 1000 amp. People tried to tell me not to use it because nobody uses them in boats. So far I'm pretty happy with my systems bass. It hits pretty hard. In fact the glue that holds the cone to the inner speaker let go over easter weekend. If you had one would you use it? My understanding is that during use or deep bass notes the cap will maintain the right amount of power handy to the amp. Seems to me they would be even more useful in a boat with such long leads to create more resistance. :idea: Am I totaly wrong?

rivercrazy
    Since Cap's add more resistance and are not a power supply source, they are actually a negative. Less volts end up going to the amplifer as a result when using a cap. The higher the farad's the greater the resistance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast