Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gale Banks turbo system for sale, sorry for the spam

superdave013
    BBC Gale Banks turbo system for sale. I also have the water jacketed exhaust elbows that are not shown.
    E mail or PM me for details.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/banksturbo.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/banksturbo1.JPG[/img]

Unchained
    Your oil cooler looks just like the one I got off ebay that you refered me to. Is your's aluminum or steel. The one I got is a steel body and is pretty heavy. Do you always need to run some kind of thermostat so the oil won't run through the cooler until its heated up?
    Mark

superdave013
    Mine must be steel also. It's pretty heavy too. I'll find out when I strip the paint off.
    I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.

schiada96
    Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.

Schiada76
    superdave013:
    Mine must be steel also. It's pretty heavy too. I'll find out when I strip the paint off.
    I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.That looks like the same cooler I have, if so it's bronze and they look great plated.

flat broke
    schiada96:
    Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.You have to be carefull when Powder coating oil coolers/heat exchangers. If there are portions of the cooler that are brazed which will be on the part that is coated, the heat from the oven could start to flow the brazing.
    As far as plating, thats a no no Most of the bodies are made of aluminum or bronze and coating them with a plating would greatly diminish their ability to exchange heat through the body via contact with air. Yes the main cooling process is the water/oil heat exchanging going on inside the cooler, but I'm pretty sure you would see an increase in oil temp with your cooler if you plated it.
    On to more important stuff. I've seen Dave's turbo parts first hand and can tell you that they are in great shape. The systems like these make for an excellent opportunity for someone to get into a turbocharged motor at a very reasonable price. If you haven't ridden, or driven a boat with turbos, its truly addicting. The best of both worlds as far as speed and useability.
    Chris

schiada96
    Fb I do alot of powder coated brazed or soldierd parts here now. Most of the heat exchangers like that can be taken apart and painted in pieces. Or I could run the oven at 340 with the thing assembled. My friend Craig has one we chromed. My spelling sucks.

superV
    superdave013:
    I didn't run a t stat on mine. But I didn't pump water through it. I force fed it with a pic up off the cav plate. My oil temp would stay right around 195-200.Just put a magnet to it and see if its steel!

Schiada76
    flat broke:
    schiada96:
    Sd clean the paint off that thing and I'll powder coat it for you.You have to be carefull when Powder coating oil coolers/heat exchangers. If there are portions of the cooler that are brazed which will be on the part that is coated, the heat from the oven could start to flow the brazing.
    As far as plating, thats a no no Most of the bodies are made of aluminum or bronze and coating them with a plating would greatly diminish their ability to exchange heat through the body via contact with air. Yes the main cooling process is the water/oil heat exchanging going on inside the cooler, but I'm pretty sure you would see an increase in oil temp with your cooler if you plated it.
    On to more important stuff. I've seen Dave's turbo parts first hand and can tell you that they are in great shape. The systems like these make for an excellent opportunity for someone to get into a turbocharged motor at a very reasonable price. If you haven't ridden, or driven a boat with turbos, its truly addicting. The best of both worlds as far as speed and useability.
    ChrisI had heard before about the plating reducing cooling capacity, but that cooler is huge and on a blown 500 BBC when I had it painted was keeping things way too cool. I haven't run it plated yet but I will probably have to get a thermostat to keep the temp up.

flat broke
    BradP:
    I had heard before about the plating reducing cooling capacity, but that cooler is huge and on a blown 500 BBC when I had it painted was keeping things way too cool. I haven't run it plated yet but I will probably have to get a thermostat to keep the temp up.Brad,
    Not to hijack Dave's thread here, but what I was basically trying to get accross was that if you had a cooler sized for your engine/HP level and you plated it you would probalby lose some efficiency in the cooler. If you've got a cooler thats too big for the motor to begin with then, there shouldn't be a problem. Sorry if I came off like it would render the cooler useless if you plated it.
    Everyone else,
    Buy Dave's Turbo setup!!!! you aren't going to beat it when it comes to bang for the buck.
    Chris

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast