Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50-75 hp 496ho

boatslayer
    what are some easy ways to gain 50-75horsepower for a 496mag(HO)
    thanks

phuggit
    Supercharger is probably your cheapest way. Do a search in the Blower Motors forum. There's a lot of discussion there.

boatslayer
    yea but the 496 is fuel injected and a whipple is like $7000
    any other suggestions

not a always there ready to use kinda mod but NOS would do the trick.

boatslayer
    yea that would make it move
    thanks
    any others

CARLSON-JET
    I wonder if having the fuel injection dialed in might help loosen up a few ponies. some low dollar mods would include tearing into the motor...you wanna go there? simple ones would be like maybe extrude honing the intake could produce results with a better breathing cam but I have not seen anybody ever discuss it. what you want to do really depends on what mods make your hull/drive responds to the best. taking unneccessary weight out of the boat can be as good adding H.P. .. and it's free. have you dialed in the prop/drive yet. a few bucks in gaskets and some head work would also help.(pocket porting) Getting 50/75 more H.P. out of 500 C.I. should not be rocket science. then again 75 h.p. on a big boat might only mean 2-3 mile per hour.. I'm just wondering what your goal is.... without a goal it's hard to plan . then again also I'm sure somebody will post about how everything I just noted is not only incorrect but a waiste of bandwidth and that spending big $$$ is the only possible way to gain anything. dunno, lets see. R.B.

Snowboat
    Have you considered how little the increase in speed would be with that increase. Just leave it alone. You'll be happier.

boatslayer
    thanks guys
    im just trying to improve the proformance and horsepower with out having to put on a whipple
    i would realy like to gain lots more horsepower
    at a minimum of 50hp but i would much prefur 100 - 200hp up grades

twistedpair
    Arizona Speed and Marine has an ECM and manifold upgrade that supposedly adds 100hp. Don't know if anyone has tried it yet.
    AS&M (http://www.azspeed-marine.com/496macopa.html)

Raylar
    Boatslayer:
    If you would like to add about 100 easy horsepower, check the website@www.raylarengine.com
    Raylar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast