Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Freeboard challenged

Geezus, it's not about BEATING anyone. This wasn't a race. FC is about enjoying the water and friends. Maybe this SHOULD be planned on a race weekend so the "racers" aren't around. Kinda hard to enjoy the water and friends when you're on the trailer and not the beach.

Speedin' Ian
    Cyclone I hope I didn't ruffle your feathers, I was being sincere when I typed that. I see a lot of people going stupid fast with no safety gear, or large crowds, or worst yet, passengers. You got a sweet boat and I'm impressed that you don't feel the need to impress anyone. I run my boat in front of camp (safely of course) but I don't think anyone is getting much of a show . If we ever go to the same event we'll have to head to some smooth water and have a go at it, but make sure we run 'em out the back door, you jets are too damn fast in the 1/8th mile:wink: . After the race I'll make sure you wimps finish that keg .
    I thought that's what this one was all about. Freeboard Challenged. No Jet in the title of that one.
    I didn't say that this was a jet specific event, but seeing as how only two v-drives showed up I'm guessing most of the v-drives I enjoy boating with were not there. I will definately try to make it to one of these things though, sounds like you guys had a blast and their seemed to be some good eye candy.

hack job
    Originally posted by cyclone
    The question for me is not stability over 100mph or a lack of balls. The question for me is how many pwc's or other boaters are going to pull out in front of me from the side of the river and kill me. It's happened twice already and i'll do what i can to minimize the danger of driving my boat fast. Up river from camp and down river from camp i ran the boat wide open with my jacket on and no boats or pwc's near me because that's where i felt comfortable. If that means that the people on shore at big river dont get a show then that's too bad for them. I'd rather live than crash my boat because i was racing in front of the campground where the water is the choppiest and kids on pwc's dart out from the shore with little regard for the boats nearby.
    iam with this, after two close calls over the weekend. i will not be trying to impress any one if ia going to run it hard ill take it some were , were i can control the situation a little more, when i ran it hard in front of the beach i camedown hard and shot way left and it scared the crap out of me . infact i have heard that there is video and you can see me look down at the floor well i was looking to see what fell out of my shorts. lol after that i came to the realization that i cna hurt my slef or other very easly and its not worth it.. good for you mike

Since you guys bought the Hondo project, I bought a running jet boat for the summer. It will be awhile until I can build a flatty and the girl friend likes the shallow water deal. It will do for now. Since we live so close lets get the ventura county guys out to Casitas. I'll be there Fri or Sat. Anyhow, I dont know much about jet boats either. I do know it is stable at 95. Lets get to it.

Speedin' Ian
    that sounds cool Gunslinger, just not sure if the next two weeks will work. I got finals this week at school and I am working the wildland fire expo for the FD on Saturday. Then next week I have my graduation. Plus we are trying to get the Hondo together, should drop the motor in it this weekend sometime. After that I will have a lot of free time since I'm taking a month and a half off before I start looking for a real job . We'll get the whole VC gang together and we'll see how our new boats run!

LVjetboy
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I thought that's what this one was all about. Freeboard Challenged. No Jet in the title of that one.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, my freeboard was challenged by a wake boat or two. Even jet skis No big deal I'm a moving target. They seemed to hang mostly on the south end. To me the real challenge was moving water and rock shoals. I'm sticking my paddle down to see and like Squirtcha said, the water magnifies. But when you're zooming over a shoal and wondering....? I'm sure Canadian jetters will laugh if they read this. Ian, I saw one other v-drive...white with three (dark blue?) s's on the side... Don't know if he was FBC or on the boards but he made a few passes looked good. Seems I've seen a picture here but do you know him? Too bad he tied up early.
    Roostwear, no bees on our side but that pet scorpion? Karen was flippin' the light on all night so she wouldn't step on one on the way to pee.
    jer

Originally posted by hack job
    iam with this, after two close calls over the weekend. i will not be trying to impress any one if ia going to run it hard ill take it some were , were i can control the situation a little more, when i ran it hard in front of the beach i camedown hard and shot way left and it scared the crap out of me . infact i have heard that there is video and you can see me look down at the floor well i was looking to see what fell out of my shorts. lol after that i came to the realization that i cna hurt my slef or other very easly and its not worth it.. good for you mike
    There is video... I saw it Saturday night. The first thing out of everyone's mouth when you turned, was "Oh shit!"
    I was going about 40 and had a PWC cut across by bow, just before I got to the cove. It could easily have been ANYWHERE, and faster than 40 (well, OK, for me, not a LOT faster). Point is, as much as we ALL enjoy speed and we're always looking for more, just because we're in the water, doesn't mean the race is on. If somebody's looking for a race every time they launch, eventually they're gonna wind up in deep sh!t. The disclaimer I made up for FC wasn't a legal dodge, it was a caution.

HBjet
    I just want to say I saw Roostwear running his boat and from my view (on the water passing him in the other direction) it sure looked good.
    HBjet

Originally posted by LVjetboy
    quote:
    Well, my freeboard was challenged by a wake boat or two. Even jet skis No big deal I'm a moving target. They seemed to hang mostly on the south end. To me the real challenge was moving water and rock shoals. I'm sticking my paddle down to see and like Squirtcha said, the water magnifies. But when you're zooming over a shoal and wondering....? I'm sure Canadian jetters will laugh if they read this. Ian, I saw one other v-drive...white with three (dark blue?) s's on the side... Don't know if he was FBC or on the boards but he made a few passes looked good. Seems I've seen a picture here but do you know him? Too bad he tied up early.
    Roostwear, no bees on our side but that pet scorpion? Karen was flippin' the light on all night so she wouldn't step on one on the way to pee.
    jer
    You think I'm going to tell Shelley about friggin' SCORPIONS too? The bees were bad enough!
    Glad you made it to BR. Looking more and more like jetters and v-drivers don't mix...... surprise!

HBjet
    They mix on the Jet side just fine.... just not sure about the v-drive side. We will see.
    HBjet