Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prop shaft ?

sboater
    I need to buy a new prop shaft for my 24' Spectra. The prop shaft is 1" and only has stock 454 for power. Any recommendations?

schiada96
    You don't need a aquamet or K500 monel for that app. You can use 304 stainless shafting and save a lot of money.

Prop Rod
    schiada96 is right, the one thing you may want to address is the strut, make sure thats in good condition. schiada96 builds a great strut that lasts! contact him if you have any questions.

Ask for Tom, he can help you out!mailto:tom@menkensvdrives.com

V-Drive Tom
    Schiada96, Alot of te 24 foot day cruisers were set up swinging a low gear ratio and a 14 INCH DIAMETER prop. Even in brass they are damn big and heavy, like the boat
    Aqua-met Shaft material is stronger and Ground MORE TRUE than 304 stainless shafting.
    Its not that expensive and a lot better shaft.
    AQ-17 would be a step up and only about 80-100 more dollars.
    As far as the strut goes.
    If he doesn't need a good prop shaft.....(proprod...???) Then why does he need a good strut?
    Just my $300.00 or so dollars worth.....TOM..

schiada96
    Tom
    Let me ask you a question how much more ksi and elongation %does aquamet 17 have over 304? If it's a stock application A piece of 304 would serve him well. As well as save him $100.00
    And thats a lot of money to me.
    Jeff
    My friend in newbury park also has a valid point about checking the strut for bushing wear and cracking. Your right they used to use big cast heavy props on that stuff. What propshaft speed do you think he will turn with a stock 454 in a 24ft boat?

V-Drive Tom
    I don't know the answer.
    I do know that you are a talented fabricator and knowledgeable about stainless steel.
    I think a big heavy boat with a big heavy prop may as well have as good a prop haft in it as it can.
    Im not trying to ruffell you up! TOM..

superdave013
    I think the guy should save some coin and buy this 27 year old used one I have. It's one inch and it's made outta of some un-known round shinny stuff. Even comes with a worn out nyloc nut. Sorry, I lost the washer.
    Oh, I have an old rusty strut that someone else could save a bundle on!
    Hurry, bid early, bid often.

schiada96
    Originally posted by V-Drive Tom
    I don't know the answer.
    I do know that you are a talented fabricator and knowledgeable about stainless steel.
    I think a big heavy boat with a big heavy prop may as well have as good a prop haft in it as it can.
    Im not trying to ruffell you up! TOM..
    Thanks Tom
    I still need to get a new prop from you for this summer I think I'll have the coin next month.
    Jeff
    Dave your a funny guy!

sboater
    I appreciate the feedback and input. Any recommendations on where to buy the types of shafts discussed. I have only been able to find pricing for 303, 17-4 and aquamet 19,22.
    And I think that I will pass on the 27 year old shaft unless you want to trade for the one that I currently have which may be as old as the boat (32 years). Full disclosure also requires that I tell you that it is bent. Yours also needs to be 87" long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast