Thread: Laughlin to Havasu or bust, 5/21-23

caribbean20
    Boating from Laughlin to Havasu this Friday for my big trip of the year. Back on Saturday or Sunday, depending on level of stupidity. Anyone done this trip recently, looking for any advice. Water level? Hazards? Best time of the day to do it (per waterflow report, water level at highest around early mid-afternoon)? Will be in my 20' jet. Know the Havasu part will be rough, but the old nag boat has a date with Davey Jones locker, just a matter of time. Long as we save the wallet and beer before she goes down. Several responses to this note about a month ago, thanks. By the way, where is the Avi? Probably can do it on one tank of gas (50 gallons) but may need a gas stop on the way to reduce the anxiety factor. Hope to see any or all.

phuggit
    Watch out for the sandbar/shoals just north of the Boy Scout camp. Avi, Needles, Moabi and Topock all have fuel.
    The Avi is about 2/3 of the way to Needles from Laughlin.
    Have fun.

dimarcobros
    What is the Davey Jones Locker?
    DMB

caribbean20
    Davey Jones Locker = slang for bottom of the ocean/lake. Some old salty dog laid that line on me (from Pirate lore) and it just stuck.

Bow Tie Omega
    Originally posted by dimarcobros
    What is the Davey Jones Locker?
    DMB
    Dude, you call yourself a boater?

HOOTER SLED-
    Be careful between Harrah's and Big Bend, lots of shallow spots. Be ready for one long ass trip. I launched at Avi with full tanks. Made it all the way no prob. Filled up in Havasu. I have a 20.5 jet, 48 gallons. Unless you can cruise at 50 mph, it's gonna feel like forever getting there, even from the Avi. My slow ass boat took forever, especially coming back. I kept getting sticks in my jet between the Gorge and Havasu too. Had to stop several times. I don't know if they are always in the water like that around there. Scared the shit out of me, I thought my pump went out. Next time I make that trip, I'll start near Needles. Take a camera, the Gorge is bitchen. Good luck, have fun.
    HOOTER