Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Would 4 6x9's & 2 12's suffice?

rivercrazy
    You just need to start carrying them Roz!
    Actually I think the PX and BPX series are everybit as good as the other amps you mentioned.
    No heat related problems and I do not have permanent fans mounted on them. I do have them mounted on feet so the amps don't sit directly on their carpeted wood mounting location. Sometimes when I know I'm gonna crank the stereo a really loud levels for extended periods, I have small D cell powered portable fans I run on them. But the amps really never got hot. Especially the class D. At 1 ohm it never even gets beyond warm. The A/B's get on the high side of warm but never really hot (@ 2 ohms).

ROZ
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    You just need to start carrying them Roz!
    Actually I think the PX and BPX series are everybit as good as the other amps you mentioned.
    No heat related problems and I do not have permanent fans mounted on them. I do have them mounted on feet so the amps don't sit directly on their carpeted wood mounting location. Sometimes when I know I'm gonna crank the stereo a really loud levels for extended periods, I have small D cell powered portable fans I run on them. But the amps really never got hot. Especially the class D. At 1 ohm it never even gets beyond warm. The A/B's get on the high side of warm but never really hot (@ 2 ohms).
    I can get them and Infinity from a distributor, but I have to get a master carton....

MOBrien
    OK,
    Here's what's on ebay RIGHT NOW....
    JBL px300.4's = $265 ea
    JBL Bpx 1100.1 = $550 ea
    JL E6450 = $325 ea
    JL 500.1 = $385 ea
    All are listed as brand new in the box and are "buy it now" prices. Again, I'm going to run the following speakers:
    2 JL, Eclipse, or Pioneer 12's
    2 Eclipse 6x9's
    4 Eclipse 6.5's
    Should I stick with the two JL amps at these prices...seems low?
    ....this is ridiculous, I have no freaking idea what I'm doing. There are waaaaaayyyyyy toooooooo maaaaannnnyyy oppppttiionns and my brain is melting from my inability to make a gaud damn decision!!!!!!!!!
    I need a therapist.......oh wait, my wife is waiting in bed. hehehe
    see ya.
    :sleeping:

HP350SC
    Here's my inexpensive install I'm just finishing up. (4) no name 6X9's and (2) 12" subs. Pioneer cd player and Planet Audio amp. Actually sounds extemely loud and clear.
    Prices: 12" Eminence woofers $76 each (2 inch voice coils, long excursion)
    6X9 4 way speakers $80 for all 4
    Pioneer 3500 $229
    1 sheet 3/4 plywood $60
    4X8 carpet $15
    stainless hardware $65
    Planet audio P600.5 $350ish but got for $100
    8 gauge wiring at Home depot 1/4 cost of stereo shop.
    $700 total.
    I through bolted everything with flathead allen bolts and beauty rings, flat washers and locknuts on back. Amp has 4 mounting slots that are open on the end, so I drilled an extra bolt in the center of each flange.

HP350SC
    another...

HP350SC
    last...

riverbound
    Are you happy with the sound?
    looks good

HP350SC
    Thanks Riverbound, came out all right for not being an installer. Made a whole new bulkhead panel. Yes, it goes loud enough that you can't stand sitting in the boat for long, and does not distort at that level. Only thing (which I expected) was mids and highs are directional and it could use some front speakers. Haven't figured out where to place them yet. May just go with surface mount tweeters on dash. Could power using the head unit amp I suppose.
    You know, I went to cartoys and listened to two 12" JL woofs. in a box ($380)with 400 wrms powering them, and was not impressed. AND they wanted $650! a pair for Focal 6 1/2's. There is no fu..ing way! Ya know what kind of driver that buys in home stereo equipment?! I'll stick with the inexpensive stuff. $20 for a 6X9 and so what if someone kicks it or whatever it's cheap to replace. It really does sound good and I have a nice home stereo so I know what good is:wink:

riverbound
    Originally posted by HP350SC
    Only thing (which I expected) was mids and highs are directional and it could use some front speakers. Haven't figured out where to place them yet. May just go with surface mount tweeters on dash.
    Post a pic of the side panel from the front seat to the bulkhead I thinkI have an idea that will work for your front speakers

HP350SC
    Thanks for your help. These 6X9's sound surprisingly good, especially for the money. Only cheesy part about them was the grill mesh had no retainers, I put 4 tiny beads of clear silicone to hold them good. Maybe I'll get some nice billet covers later.
    The side panel stops at the front seats, and the area is open. That's where I stick fenders and stuff. There is enough room on the bulkhead for another pair of speakers, but not the best location either. I don't need more volume, just some well placed mid/highs to fire from front to back. Something like a 4or5" coax would fit on the flat part of dash at the far right and to the left of the steering wheel. I just don't want to cut the dash???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast