Thread: Lifter Difference, Need Help

Wet Dream
    Out of 16 lifters from Summit, I got 4 of the one on the left and the 12 of the ones on the right. The ones on the right have always been the style used in my 455. The style on the right when soaked in oil and pumped up with a pushrod has a stiff (real stiff) stroke of about 3/16". A couple of them wouldn't budge at all at first. The one on the left has a super soft resistance and strokes to 1/2" or more. Both boxes are marked the same, but you can't tell me they're going to do the same job. I was thinking it was a mis-packaged deal. These are Sealed Power HT-951's. Well, the ones are right are. I don't know about the leftys. Any tips?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-857f-med.jpg

GofastRacer
    The reason for that is the clearance between the body and the plunger, the soft one has more clearance(Cheap Taywan shit) and that will show up after running hard and the oil gets hot, when you come to an idle you will have a lifter clatter!. The Sealed Power is a good lifter and have tighter tolerance, I've never had a problem with one of their lifters. If you bought "Summit's" lifters you may have a misspackaged deal, I would send them back and get all the right ones!... My .02.....

Infomaniac
    Does Boston Acoustic make lifters?

Wet Dream
    I bought all 16 at Summit, but were not Summit brand. They are Sealed Power. There were 4 celophane sleaves, each with 4 boxes and one lifter in each box. They are all marked the same, but definately not the same construction. Even the retaining springs on top that hold the guts in are different.

UBFJ #454
    Not to be crass or anything like that ... But ... You get what you pay for ... And, even then you have to be darned Careful.
    Call Summit and tell them your sending them back and expect them to send you the proper lifters ASAP.

adsala
    This is very interesting. I just bought a set of High Energy Comp lifters from Summit. They are exact replacement of the same comp lifters previously installed in my engine 3 years ago. I got the new lifters cause I needed to replace the cam. Anyway, the old lifter bodies had grooves around the body like yours. The new ones did not. The new ones also did not have the part number on them. Comp's web page says "insist on the best" showing the part number on the lifter.
    This triggered me to call Comp. The tech said there are only two lifter body manufacturers world wide and they do not put numbers on them anymore. I said ok but you should update your webpage and documentation. He said that costs alot of money to to that.
    He said Comp upgrades the insides of the lifters for higher performance. I say, what about your cams are they outsourced?
    He says no. We make them here. He said that their cams and lifters are of high quality and you can count on them.
    Mine were a matching set. In your case I would definitely send those lifters back and think about another brand.

DansBlown73Nordic
    From what I have been told. Only one or two companys make cam blanks. So Comps cam is the same blank as Crane or anyone else......:wink: