Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB hub/networking ... help needed

FMluvswater
    Not for me. My friend Stacey. She has tried the help lines and websites to get her question answered and got nothing so I offered to ask here ... this is her question ...
    I am buying a USB hub so I have more USB ports to use. Can I hook a Wireless-B Compact USB Adapter to it?
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheap Thrills
    can you hook a 802.11-b wireless usb adapter to a usb hub ?
    yes you can but I dont believe it would get the full 10Mbs .
    I would try to use an open usb port for the 802.11-b wireless .
    if she needs more usb ports she would be better off using a ISA card if she has an ISA slot open . anyhoo .
    just my .02
    C.T. :wink:

FMluvswater
    Thanks sweetie I passed that .02 cents on.

Boozer
    Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
    can you hook a 802.11-b wireless usb adapter to a usb hub ?
    yes you can but I dont believe it would get the full 10Mbs .
    I would try to use an open usb port for the 802.11-b wireless .
    if she needs more usb ports she would be better off using a ISA card if she has an ISA slot open . anyhoo .
    just my .02
    The last bujillion computers I have built did not have ISA ports. ISA is no longer a supported slot.

Cheap Thrills
    oops my bad youre right boozer Ive been up wayy to long I ment PCI , thinking one thing typing another .. thanks for the correction .

MomOfJesi
    Thanks guys. I am Stacey. On that computer we only have one working USB port and we want to be able to use three devices that need a USB port. speed is not an issue at the moment, can't be as slow as the dial up that was always crashing that we used to have. we just want to know if we can still get on line if the adapter goes through the hub

FMluvswater
    Yay! It finally let you re-register! Welcome back Stace.

Boozer
    Originally posted by MomOfJesi
    Thanks guys. I am Stacey. On that computer we only have one working USB port and we want to be able to use three devices that need a USB port. speed is not an issue at the moment, can't be as slow as the dial up that was always crashing that we used to have. we just want to know if we can still get on line if the adapter goes through the hub
    If your computer only has 1 USB port I am guessing you are running either windows 98 or Windows Millenium edition. With either of those operating systems I would advise that you NOT run addition hardware (i.e. PCI cards) to add additional USB ports. It has been my experience that both of these operating systems don't run well with more then 2 USB ports because even though the USB port can run multiple devices on one irq it still seems to cause conflicts.
    I don't know about Canada but here in the Good Ole U.S of A we can build up to date boxes for about $500 American. It's a better spent $500 then trying to add upgrades to outdated technology.

MomOfJesi
    If your computer only has 1 USB port I am guessing you are running either windows 98 or Windows Millenium edition. With either of those operating systems I would advise that you NOT run addition hardware (i.e. PCI cards) to add additional USB ports. It has been my experience that both of these operating systems don't run well with more then 2 USB ports because even though the USB port can run multiple devices on one irq it still seems to cause conflicts.
    The computer has two usb ports. It just seems that we can't get one of them to work. you are right about the operating system. Win98SE we are trying to connect the Adapter, a wb cam, and cheap printer that wont be used much,

I've added USB2 cards to all my PC's that came with only 1 or 2 USB1.1 ports and have experienced no problems. Win2K machines though with P3 processors. USB2 is much faster than 1.1 but the device has to support USB2 to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast