Thread: ballast resistor?

hellbound
    ? is im running a msd 6a box, blaster 2 coil mallory unilite (electronic) dist.do i still need the ballast resistor?

Cheap Thrills
    The ballast is not necessary if an MSD 6 or 7 series Ignition Control is being used with the points distributor. When you are using an MSD Ignition Control, the ignition is responsible for delivering the voltage to the coil so a ballast is not necessary.
    link (http://www.inlinefour.com/twincamtech/msdblas2coil.html)
    C.T. :wink:

Fiat48
    I would call Mallory and ask them. While the MSD doesn't need a ballast, the unlilyte module does. In fact, Mallory used to recommend 2 ballast resistors to protect the module.

dont buy from inlinefour, those guys are crooks, i've had friends screwed by them.

Mr Twister
    I agree with fiat 48. Check out the instructions for the unilite, which used to be on Mallory's website. I run an MSD and a unilite distributor and have installed a ballast to protect the module.

Hemicbx
    MSD has an instruction sheet that shows installation with a Unilite and it does NOT show a resistor.
    However, Mallory instruction sheet for use with an aftermarket ignition DOES show a resistor.
    The Unilite module operates on a relatively low voltage so I'd err on the side of safety and use one. In fact, w/ my Unilite, I do use one.
    Hemicbx