Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning

LVjetboy
    Just upgraded and wondering...
    How do you tune?
    One amp drives the front components and subs. One amp the back subs. One amp the back components which also have separate (from the amp) cross-overs. Every amp has your basic level and cross-over control.
    A reference CD? Can I ballpark/w Brittany Spears? J/k. I listen to a wide range...rap, rock and mellow...adjust to best compromise? Or tune for max stress and live with the rest? I have a pretty good ear but...one channel at a time? Forward vs rear? Do one thing first then the other? Controller max volume or some other setting? Subs vs mids?
    No doubt some of this a black art and secrets of the trade but anything you guys can share? Keep it simple or be ready for more questions...
    jer

Mr. Naudio
    If you are in Havasu
    CarToyz will do it for free.

Havasu Hangin'
    Since there are no accoustics in boats, I tune mine to what I listen to most (I don't usually listen to test tones or Britanny at the river- only at home).
    Depending on the subs and box, I usually cross them over between 60-100hz.
    I try to keep the subs as loud as possible, without being annoying. That way, you will keep your really low frequencies from being boosted to all speakers, which can distort components.
    If you can't do that, and the components still distort on low bass hits, I would cross them over at 100-150hz or so. For me, this is a last resort, as it usually takes some mid-bass punch out.
    For the gains, I leave them all the way down, then turn the head unit to 95% (or so), and bring the gains up until you start to get some distortion- then back it down a hair. Do this one amp at a time (pull the remote wire on the others), so you only hear what you are adjusting.
    No imaging in boats means that you want all the components as loud as possible (without distorting).
    Now crank the whole system up on a couple different CDs, and listen for an quirks (distortion).
    On the water, an equalizer and sub control are your best friends when listening to many different types of music. When you have a quality system, you really notice how much variance there is from CD to CD. If the gains and crossovers are set OK, fiddling with the frequencies on the EQ (or sub control) will get you the adjustment needed.
    ...but I'm an idiot, so please consider the source.

ROZ
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    I don't usually listen to test tones You mean I don't need to bring my Disc 2, fluke meeter, RTA, and dB meter to Op6?

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by ROZ
    You mean I don't need to bring my Disc 2, fluke meeter, RTA, and dB meter to Op6?
    If my boat was done you'd have to bring that junk

LVjetboy
    "For the gains, I leave them all the way down, then turn the head unit to 95% (or so), and bring the gains up until you start to get some distortion- then back it down a hair."
    HH, does this give more volume with better sound quality than say adjusting the head to 50% then bringing the amp gain up? Or is it more a safety measure to keep from blowing the speakers when you crank the volume?
    jer

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by LVjetboy
    HH, does this give more volume with better sound quality than say adjusting the head to 50% then bringing the amp gain up? Or is it more a safety measure to keep from blowing the speakers when you crank the volume?
    jer
    Jer-
    Yes and yes.
    If you turn the volume on the head unit up only 50%, then you will have to increase the gains on the amp significantly more. When you do this, you will usually get more speaker noise, including hissing (and/or popping) at lower (or no) head unit volume. Try it and you'll see what I mean- don't forget to start your engine while doing this.
    Also, to your point, the other reason is as a safety measure to keep distortion (and/or amp clipping) out of the equation. Distortion/clipping will kill your speakers rather quickly. You probably would never want to purposely induce distortion- leave that for kids in thier Hondas with just subs and tweeters.
    In a car, when your are trying to build a soundstage (imaging), then you would adjust the gains a little differently, depending on which speakers were producing the image. In a boat, it doesn't matter.
    The only exception would be if someone were using a low-level convertor. In that case, the higher volume on the head unit will mean maximum distortion out of that little amp in the head unit. Amplifying a distorted signal is not good, so the 50% rule would apply.

ROZ
    Jer-
    Yes and yes.
    If you turn the volume on the head unit up only 50%, then you will have to increase the gains on the amp significantly more. When you do this, you will usually get more speaker noise, including hissing (and/or popping) at lower (or no) head unit volume. Try it and you'll see what I mean- don't forget to start your engine while doing this.
    Also, to your point, the other reason is as a safety measure to keep distortion (and/or amp clipping) out of the equation. Distortion/clipping will kill your speakers rather quickly. You probably would never want to purposely induce distortion- leave that for kids in thier Hondas with just subs and tweeters.
    In a car, when your are trying to build a soundstage (imaging), then you would adjust the gains a little differently, depending on which speakers were producing the image. In a boat, it doesn't matter.
    The only exception would be if someone were using a low-level convertor. In that case, the higher volume on the head unit will mean maximum distortion out of that little amp in the head unit. Amplifying a distorted signal is not good, so the 50% rule would apply.
    You are the professor! This is why YOU are the stereo judge for OP6...
    Jer.... Adding to HH's 1st paragraph... Gain on an amp not only boosts the signal from the headunit, but will amplify EVERYTHING that the RCA's pickup(noise) along the way....
    If you're interested on some of the more technical ways of dialing in a system, like line level headunit clipping and gain setting to h/u output voltage, JL Audio has some tutorials..... Interesting reading nontheless....

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by ROZ
    You are the professor!
    That's the "old school" way of adjustment...
    ...I'm sure you young punks have some new "bling bling" way of doing it today.

ROZ
    ...I'm sure you young punks have some new "bling bling" way of doing it today.
    Speaking of Punk... I think You're so boring by DK will be the track I play for the stereo contest.... Fitting for a bunch of peeps just sitting around drinking a beer or 2 watching the water current all day long....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast