Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning

LVjetboy
    I use all line out to drive my amps. So no low lever convertor. Also no stereo when I run the engine. Tough to hear with ear plugs.
    I don't understand sound stage or imaging yet. I guess my question is, assuming no RCA noise from a running engine, is the head amp typically better than the separate amps at accurately reproducing the signal at high level?
    jer

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by LVjetboy
    I guess my question is, assuming no RCA noise from a running engine, is the head amp typically better than the separate amps at accurately reproducing the signal at high level?
    Not sure I understand the question...but I'll take a shot at it.
    Out of the head unit, there should be little noise (to the human ear) with increasing volume from the low-level outputs.
    However, amps will amplify (shocking, I know) any noise in the system many times over. Sometimes that noise is from the head unit (maybe the head unit doesn't have good noise filters), and sometimes it is from the amp itself (hissing, etc.).
    Try a couple experiments- run a power jump wire to an amp, and turn up the gains all the way up (with the head unit off)...any hissing? Now try it with the head unit on, but at no volume. Try a couple actions, like inserting a CD, or turning the head unit off an on.
    The bottom line is, if you have no intention of running the amplified signal past clipping and/or speaker distortion, then why mess with it?
    Or in terms you might relate with...why put a 7,000 RPM cam in your engine if you'll never run it past 6,000 RPMs? All it does is hurt bottom-end performance, right?

LVjetboy
    I think I understand what you're saying about system noise.
    I guess my question was if you had a clean signal from a CD (ideal world) would it be distorted more by amplifying it say 90% with the head unit amplifier and 10% with the separate amp compared to say 50% with the head unit and 50% with the separate? Assuming no external or line noise?
    In other words, does the process of amplifying a clean signal in of itself distort the signal and if so does that distortion depend on amplifier quality and level of amplification? I guess I was thinking the head unit amplifier would be cheaper quality then the separate and running at 95% might introduce distortion? Does that make sense?
    But then there's the other sources of noise you mentioned downstream of the head amp and that muddies the water. Must be thinking to much...need another brew. If I knew what the h*ll I was talking about it'd help.
    jer

ROZ
    I think I understand what you're saying about system noise.
    I guess my question was if you had a clean signal from a CD (ideal world)
    test tone, but it's only as good as the source it was recorded from and with...
    would it be distorted more by amplifying it say 90% with the head unit amplifier and 10% with the separate amp compared to say 50% with the head unit and 50% with the separate? Assuming no external or line noise?
    That really depends on the makeup of the heaunit and at what point the headunit clips...
    In other words, does the process of amplifying a clean signal in of itself distort the signal and if so does that distortion depend on amplifier quality and level of amplification? I guess I was thinking the head unit amplifier would be cheaper quality then the separate and running at 95% might introduce distortion? Does that make sense? Depending on the the component makeup, design, and process in which the signal is amplified noise can be introduced, but how much noise is the question. The solution to your deck amp distortion is to run a deck that is a preamp. Maybe a 7909 if you could find one on ebay... Made in 1989 - 1992.. Considered to be one of the best of all time... It can be modified also
    But then there's the other sources of noise you mentioned downstream of the head amp and that muddies the water.
    Yup.. Way back when, I had a customer who wanted every wire run individually channeled in a Dynamat(when Dynamat was first being used) sandwhich regardless of what other vehicle wiring it was near... I think we added about 400lbs of mat to the entire car after it was finished
    Must be thinking to much...need another brew. If I knew what the h*ll I was talking about it'd help.
    jer
    Heffiwiesen please

BoatFloating
    Here is my way of tuning. Turn it up and when it sounds like shit turn it loader and then you sound like the other 90% of the boats out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12