Thread: can I run LH prop in "reverse"?

jwbbuck
    I have the chance to try out a LH prop. Not because I want a LH, but a LH prop is all that is available. My boat is setup for RH props and that's what I'm currently using. Are there any problems loading the gears at WOT in "reverse"? Or, no difference as far as drive durability is concerned?
    Thanks, John

mike37
    Originally posted by jwbbuck
    I have the chance to try out a LH prop. Not because I want a LH, but a LH prop is all that is available. My boat is setup for RH props and that's what I'm currently using. Are there any problems loading the gears at WOT in "reverse"? Or, no difference as far as drive durability is concerned?
    Thanks, John
    I dont think its good to run your drive like that
    you my pop the cap off the top

1BIGJIM
    You did not say what kind of drive you have. It's my understanding you can run a Bravo like you have said and it will not hurt anything.

Chadzilla4ever
    as long as you have a bravo drive you can run it in either direction.Do not do this with an alpha or anything with a trannsmission. Don't worry about the top cap breaking; this problem was caused by the upper driveshaft breaking in early bravos (pre-1993). The early shafts had an extra oil hole machined in which caused them to break.

OLDRAT
    If you try this, you may be able to determine the affect of different pitches, etc. but may not get an overall definition of the props performance due to the change in torque direction and how it affects your actual hull's ability to handle it.
    I would give it a shot, just be sure and set up the shift cables per the merc instructions for Bravos
    OR

dorC
    The bravo/alpha will be just fine. Be carefull around the docks as the shifter will be reversed. You may also run into some funky handling issues. Often the hulls are asymetrical to help counter the prop torque. With a lefty you will not have that torque balanced any more.

Whipped Caliber
    I ran my SC as a RH and when to LH boat runs better that way. I swicthed the cables at the controll. Took 20 mins. If you have High HP you will have to put a cap on it!!!