Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging System Problems

Hallett19
    I know this doesnt have to do with my jet pump persay, but my jet boat is having a problem charging. Its an externaly regulated system, with a newer motorcraft alternator and brand new regulator. Both batteries hold a 12.5+ charge, but dont read anything over that even with the motor on and revved over 2000rpms. I checked the voltage at the guage of course, and at the batterys with a meter and its the same. I took the old voltage regulator off this weekend and there was something broken in it, replaced it and it charged at the battery at around 14.2 volts, however once I got it back in the water, it was back down again. I'm lost ! can one battery in bad shape drain the charging system like that ? I know one battery is not great, these are the old megatrons out of froggy's boat before he did the 6v setup, so these batteries are veterans to say the least. Where should I start ? load test the batteries ? have the alternator checked ? thanks for any help guys !

Jordy
    I'd look at the batteries as a prime suspect. If they are wired together, then yes, one bad battery will pull the other one down. The alternator is only meant to keep the batteries charged when they are at full capacity, not recharge a dead battery (I know some of you stereo folks will disagree here) but I'd pull them out and take them both down and have them tested.
    I don't know about boats, but batteries in vehicles in AZ seem to go away every couple years.

Hallett19
    They are both tied together, but I can go from one to the other. I kept the batteries at full charge, some guy said if the batteries are full, the alternator will not charge them till they drain a little, I called bs and I think its one of the batteries.

JETBOY03
    my batteries charge at 14.5 but the battery will only hold 12 to 12.5. will never read over 12.5 after it has sat for 30 mins. or so.

LVjetboy
    There's only room for one jetboy in this here town.

JETBOY03
    im here to stay. so better make room!

victorfb
    now now "boys" dont fight.

LVjetboy
    Just yanking JETBOY03's chain. Seattle's my home town BTW.
    jer

Hallett19
    HIGHJACK !!!!

JETBOY03
    sorry to hijack, hey LV i am pretty new to the jet scene i was wondering what are the best places to go boating out here in seattle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast