Thread: Carb, Fuel pump, or Ignition??

Sleek-Jet
    OK, so at Saguaro today, I was having hell with the boat. It would idle, with 4.5 psi of fuel pressure, but acted like it was starving of fuel above an idle. Now, I could shut the boat off for a few seconds, re-start it, and be able to get the thing up to speed. At that point, as long as I stayed above 3000 rpm, the boat would run fine. As soon as I let the rpms drop, the thing would weeze and fart and fall back to an idle.
    Above 3000, I could stand on it (WOT), and it would spin right up to it's max rpm, no problem.
    I'm running an electric fuel pump as well feeding a Holley D/P carb. I don't know what the psi was above an idle, since the fuel pressure guage is mounted on the engine, I couldn't see it at speed.
    If it was a psi problem, I would think the boat wouldn't run for crap above an idle, not just run lousy between 1500 - 3000 rpm. Maybe an accelerator pump?? But why would the boat run well above 3000, or would there be enough signal to make up for the squirters not... well squirting??
    It's the turning the thing off and on and it would run ok, that has me stumped.
    Also, I'm going to get a good mechanical pump, I'm tired of messing with the electric, even if it isn't the root of my problem here.

i personally think...the fuel pump chng is a good start...there was a thread about the pro's & con's of electric pumps on here & it seemed like evry1 liked the mech pumps...no electrical probs...i would start there & then go on to the carb & make sure the floats are set rite & the power valves are ok...1 thing at a time...KISS...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

GofastRacer
    Looks like you have a bunch of issues, the POS pump to begin with, why don't you bring it over and I'll fix it!..

Sleek-Jet
    Looks like you have a bunch of issues, the POS pump to begin with, why don't you bring it over and I'll fix it!..
    You charge to much.... :crossx: :crossx:
    Ever since I sucked that tank dry, I've been having hell.
    Mech fuel pump is getting ordered tomorrow, we'll see what else is up after that.
    I wish I could have seen the fuel pressure when it was running lousy. :220v:

there ya go Sleek-jet...a fellow boater to help u out
    fastrat

GofastRacer
    You charge to much.... :crossx: :crossx:
    Ever since I sucked that tank dry, I've been having hell.
    Mech fuel pump is getting ordered tomorrow, we'll see what else is up after that.
    I wish I could have seen the fuel pressure when it was running lousy. :220v:
    Oops I forgot, you're from AZ!..

Sleek-Jet
    Oops I forgot, you're from AZ!..
    That's right, I want the best, and I want it cheap...

GofastRacer
    That's right, I want the best, and I want it cheap...
    You mean you want it FREE!..