OK, so at Saguaro today, I was having hell with the boat. It would idle, with 4.5 psi of fuel pressure, but acted like it was starving of fuel above an idle. Now, I could shut the boat off for a few seconds, re-start it, and be able to get the thing up to speed. At that point, as long as I stayed above 3000 rpm, the boat would run fine. As soon as I let the rpms drop, the thing would weeze and fart and fall back to an idle.
Above 3000, I could stand on it (WOT), and it would spin right up to it's max rpm, no problem.
I'm running an electric fuel pump as well feeding a Holley D/P carb. I don't know what the psi was above an idle, since the fuel pressure guage is mounted on the engine, I couldn't see it at speed.
If it was a psi problem, I would think the boat wouldn't run for crap above an idle, not just run lousy between 1500 - 3000 rpm. Maybe an accelerator pump?? But why would the boat run well above 3000, or would there be enough signal to make up for the squirters not... well squirting??
It's the turning the thing off and on and it would run ok, that has me stumped.
Also, I'm going to get a good mechanical pump, I'm tired of messing with the electric, even if it isn't the root of my problem here.