Thread: Electric Choke Question..

1BIGJIM
    Replacing old carb with a new one with an electric choke. How does an electric choke work? What tells it to open? I would think it would connect to water temp sensor to supply a certain amount of current to say I am warm open up choke.
    The directions say connect to positive ignition source. Ok no problem. What happens if you have the key turned on for 3 minutes and the engine is not running? WouldnÂ’t the choke still open up? Or you shut the boat off to drink a couple of beers, will the choke go back to close because no current is going to it?

dmontzsta
    Just wire tie it open, dont even bother with a choke.

Moneypitt
    There is a bi metal spring in the choke housing. In a non electric unit the hot exhaust heats the spring, weakening it so the choke pull off diaphram can over come it with vacuume. Some carbs have a spring that opens against the bi metal spring. An electric unit uses voltage to do about the same thing. Current heats and weakens the spring and the choke opens. As far as leaving your key in the on position, DON'T, at anytime for any reason,PERIOD!! This isn't because of the choke, its because of the ignition system. If you have points you will fry them.....If you have an aftermarket system, they don'y like to be left on either. The electric choke wiring has enough resistance when hot, that it drops out of the circuit............(I think).........Moneypitt
    PS....If you leave your key on for stereo use, rewire it to the accessary side of the switch........

GofastRacer
    What he says, but why would you want a choke unless you're using the boat in freezing weather!..

tbanzer
    You could also use an oil pressure switch wired in series with the choke. No current would be allowed to flow to the choke unless the engine is running and developing oil pressure. This is how the automotive industry did it.