Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: polisheg a whipple

TOBTEK
    Originally posted by Jrocket
    I wouldnt have anything less than an XR on that motor.My HP 500 broke the stock bravo1 at 40hours.I would go with a XR and save up for Max Machines stuff in the future.Can never have too much drive or motor!
    J....how much$$$$ should I expect to pay more for a XR over a bravo one? What does MAX do and how $$$$ ?

Jrocket
    Originally posted by TOBTEK
    J....how much$$$$ should I expect to pay more for a XR over a bravo one? What does MAX do and how $$$$ ?
    Not sure on the XR price upgrade.I thought it was about $3600 over the regular Bravo1.Call and talk to the guys at Max,they can give you the best advice on what to do.My next drive will be from there.The service you get from them is worth every penny when you need them.Ask them about their own tower that they have.I havent seen any on boats but saw one on their bench at the shop.Has to be extreme $$$$$.
    What are you going to get?What model?

TOBTEK
    Originally posted by Jrocket
    Not sure on the XR price upgrade.I thought it was about $3600 over the regular Bravo1.Call and talk to the guys at Max,they can give you the best advice on what to do.My next drive will be from there.The service you get from them is worth every penny when you need them.Ask them about their own tower that they have.I havent seen any on boats but saw one on their bench at the shop.Has to be extreme $$$$$.
    What are you going to get?What model?
    we will see, want to get one like yours with a 525......MAYBE a winter build. maybe a nice used one????? wanta see what pops up after this season.

HP350SC
    Max machine works is the shit...It cost me 10K,BUT that included $2100 for WPM dual ram steering and ALL of their internal components. Their pricing is a little confusing. I sent them JUST my upper bravo housing and shift fork and rear cover. I also upgraded to the merc. sportmaster lower unit(satin) with low water pickup and 1:26 gears. This sucker is bulletproof! Running an HP500 Whipple with 9 lbs. boost on avgas, roughly 750 hp/ 800+torque. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I live in Oregon and sent my drive all the way to Arizona, these guys know their stuff. If you're going to build a moderate output motor(700-950hp) this is the way to go. Use someone else's bravo drive, and one blow up will cost more in the long run.
    Since I sent them just the case and shift fork, I still have damn near a complete 1:36 geared bravo 1 for a spare or whatever.

HP350SC
    Here's a picture...

Whipple Charged
    HP350SC,
    Like I said, I have to get the unit in to properly evaluate, I'm not sure whats wrong with that as a mfg. I told you what I've seen, I haven't said yes or no, I said were flexible! I don't feel I need to defend myself or the company over a public forum, we've always done what we can for the customer. As I said on the phone and here, send it in for us to evaluate. If you have a problem with your car, what do they tell you? Bring it in to evaluate the problem. This is standard. After we evaluate it, you can go online and post your results and/or findings.
    To note, you did not pay a premium for the blue paint finish, this is a $200 option over the black finish. Although it's not a $1800 blower, it's actually a kit that has many more componets that add to the price. Showing pictures of your intake manifold with 70 hours doesn't mean anything. As I told you, we cannot cure the paint like Mercury Racing so it's not as hard, also note that the motors are painted assembled so gas leaks are far more rare. You also have less exposed edges until it's disassembled.
    Powder coating would be a great option, but you would first have to try and find a powder coating company that will mfg. a special blend of powder coating to match the factory blue paint. We've researched this and we have yet to find a company willing to do this or even say it's possible do to the metallic content. There are many blues, but none that come close to matching in the sunlight.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Dustin said in his first post send it in for evaluation. That is not an unreasonable or inappropriate request. Yet following that, more whining and carrying on. Some of you wonder why most manufacturers avoid these forums like the plague. Perfect example right here. If anyone had taken a position already it was not Dustin, it was HP350 as illistruated by the continued hammering immediately following after Dustin indicated to send it in for evaluation and it would be repainted if determined to be bad paint or poor paint job.
    And I got no horse in this race as we don't sell Whipple. Just callin it like I see it.

HP350SC
    OK fair enough, and thanks for reply. I will send it in around October or so if that's all right. Our boating season is short up here so don't want to have any down time. Posting of pictures was for documentation and comparison, and to be as clear as possible so Whipple could hopefully make a decision prior to disassembly and shipping. Picture of intake was admittedly a little sarcastic so I will apologize for that.I would think a determination could be made from blower pictures? It would likely cost $100 shipping both ways as I'm 500 miles from Whipple. Then another ???$ to strip and repaint it, so I am looking for some degree of commitment before I send it down. I don't feel I was whining Rexone, and the way I read it was this: 1. I have already said gas was spilled when tuning, pretty much unavoidable. 2. Dustin said specifically he could not warranty a fuel spill. He did say he was flexible, and I can appreciate that, but that is less clear of a statement. 3. IF that is the case, then I might look to have it painted locally to save shipping costs. Can probably get repainted for $100-200. Note I had not continued with this thread regarding the paint issue, other members asked about it. Continued discussion is welcome, but if you ain't got a horse in the race maybe you shouldn't be at the race.
    I am VERY happy with the performance gain and other aspects of the kit. I do have one question Dustin, I have seen some builders using the engine oiling system instead of the synthetic gear lube for the bearing endplates. Under higher boost is it better to use the engine oil, and what benefit is that? Is it to keep the oil cooler? I am going back to 7lb. boost pulley for duration of summer, except for one poker run.
    P.S. Thanks for the information about powdercoating, I don't think I will go that route.
    Regards,
    Mike

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456