Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Hold Down Straps

goneboatin
    Are rear hold down straps really necessary? I've got a Howard 22 Sport open bow and have looked for a place to hook up the straps, but where they would go, my trim tabs are in the way. I've never had the boat bounce off the trailer bunks. You would think the weight of the engine and the outdrive would keep the back of the boat on the trailer.
    Any input?

LASERRAY
    I use them. I dont have trim tabs on my 22' Laser. My Zieman trailer has loops made for the hold downs. IMO, you can never oversecure your boat when towing.

goneboatin
    My trailer is an Ellis and has loops for straps, but the trim tabs are in the way

phebus
    I would use them not only to keep the boat on the bunks, but also to stop the boat from bouncing up and down on the bunks. Can't be good for the boat or trailer. That said, if you can't use them because of your trim tabs, I would just be that more carefull when towing on rough terrain.

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by goneboatin
    My trailer is an Ellis and has loops for straps, but the trim tabs are in the way Can you re-route the straps, or get a set of longer ones?

goneboatin
    I've got a full width swim step with brackets on both ends and ones on each side of the outdrive, but the tabs are still in the way to the loops on the trailer. I haven't thought outside the bun yet, as far as adding loops in another location.
    Hmmm...there's an idea.

Kilrtoy
    Always tow with rear and front straps

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by goneboatin
    I've got a full width swim step with brackets on both ends and ones on each side of the outdrive, but the tabs are still in the way to the loops on the trailer. I haven't thought outside the bun yet, as far as adding loops in another location.
    Hmmm...there's an idea. Ok, forget about the straps for a second. What about useing short lengths of 3/8" or 1/4" rope?

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by Kilrtoy
    Always tow with rear and front straps Front straps? As in your "D" ring?

repo man
    i use them, i hook them to the cavitation plate control rod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast