Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rear Hold Down Straps

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    Yes...exactly.
    Here it is at my house (note the wonderful view the neighbors have now):
    http://www.highperformancecars.com/h...ig_and_sub.jpg Thanks HH. She's a beauty.

little rowe boat
    I have a Howard 220 offshore,it never had them and I have never had a prob towing without them. I have looked for a place to put them on but there just any place that will work.

goneboatin
    Originally posted by little rowe boat
    I have a Howard 220 offshore,it never had them and I have never had a prob towing without them. I have looked for a place to put them on but there just any place that will work.
    That's the problem I've got. The trailer has leaf springs, so it should absorb all, but the most violent bumps.

little rowe boat
    Originally posted by goneboatin
    That's the problem I've got. The trailer has leaf springs, so it should absorb all, but the most violent bumps.
    I have been towing back and forth for 10 seasons with this boat and trailer,the leaf springs do absorb most of the shock from large bumps and ruts and believe me I have hit some pretty big bumps and had to swerve to avoid other vehicles all without a prob.

Havasu Hangin'
    All trailers have leaf springs (or torsion bars).
    If you guys think your boat isn't bouncing off the trailer without tie-dows...try following it sometime over some rough road.

goneboatin
    I don't tow off road like the road to Havasu Palms or Black Meadow, the roughest road I tow on is the 10 Freeway through Fontucky. I'm anal about the boat - if the road ain't paved, I'm not pulling the boat over it.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by phebus
    Damn HH, that's a lot of hardware back there!!
    Looks a lot like my old Eliminator, (w/o checkers of course). I never did tie that boat down for the same reason. Couldn't get from the trailer pad eyes to the transom tie rings without the tabs being in the way.

Propchecker
    I stopped in Barstow for gas on the way back from Havasu and noticed the tournament boat I was towing (with straps on) had slid back about a foot on the trailer and the winch was freewheeling. It must have been jarred loose from that roadwork they were doing forever on the 40. If you knew how you could have played those straps like a violin, but they saved a major hassle. I think Kilrtoy is right about the front as well -- if your trailer has only one winch with a hole down low you can put a little strap down from the front. If I'm really close to the ramp I don't use 'em though

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Propchecker
    I stopped in Barstow for gas on the way back from Havasu and noticed the tournament boat I was towing (with straps on) had slid back about a foot on the trailer and the winch was freewheeling. It must have been jarred loose from that roadwork they were doing forever on the 40. If you knew how you could have played those straps like a violin, but they saved a major hassle. I think Kilrtoy is right about the front as well -- if your trailer has only one winch with a hole down low you can put a little strap down from the front. If I'm really close to the ramp I don't use 'em though
    I used to have a safety strap on the front of my Eliminator. The Ultra has the pinned bar on the front. I don't think it's going anywhere. I do have straps on the back of the Ultra though. It is light enough to bounce and damage the hull...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234