Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil pressure

fat rat
    What is max/min oil pressure for a BB Chevy and how accurate is a eletric Gafrig gauge?

Chestah Cheetah
    I don't know the answer to that, but I would also like to ask the same oil pressure ? for a 455 olds. Fat Rat, I added a manual gauge to the block itself for a more accurate read out, ($20).

fat rat
    Hey Cheetah, was there a difference in the reading?

Chestah Cheetah
    None! Both read 20lbs. Everyone is telling me something different. The last guy that worked on it was the most helpful. No more leaks, smoke, or noises- but the pressure is still at 20. When it's cold it starts out at 45 then gradually down to 20 and stays there. I just talked to him and he says I should switch from 10-30 to straight 50 weight oil- high quality Kendall. Then I talked to the guy who did the heads and valve job and he said to stick with 10-30 and that the motor is not big enough for 50. I don't know shit about motors and who to listen to.

rivercrazy
    I'd use a strait grade oil. Stay away from conventional multi-grades in a marine application. A strait weight oil like 40W will not thin as much when it gets hot. As a result, your oil pressure will stay higher.
    I use a 20W-50 multi-grade. However, its synthetic. I've noticed higher (when hot) oil pressures with it versus strait 40W conventional oil.
    Your 20lbs oil pressure sounds low to me. I don't know much about Olds engines other than they have lubercation issues.
    My 454 mag starts out at about 70lbs cold and then runs about 40-45lbs hot (even after running hard for a few hours)

Chestah Cheetah
    From my limited knowledge I know that most Olds that have lubrication problems stem from using a 6qt automotive pan. I have a 14 quart. 20 lbs is low so you can see why I'm nervous. What do you think of the 50W?

rivercrazy
    I'm not an expert in this area. It seems like if you run in a really hot environment (like Havasu), it might be OK. I'd try a less thick strait weight before trying 50W.
    Call Mondello Performance and ask them for advise on your pressure question. They are the Old's guru's..

phillyray
    Fat Rat I been using Kendall G-T 50/wt. Oil psi hot at idle about 40-45,when running about 50-55,the mech. guage seems a little more solid than the electric.Mounted mech. guage in the back of the boat,just to compare.Dose this mean your boat has arrived?

fat rat
    Yo PhillyRay, got the boat last week and ran it last weekend, the boat looks and runs increditable. I do have some minor problems....I hope. Are you running a blower? I'm getting what appears to be condisation in the breathers......some say its expected.....but what is excessive?

Chestah Cheetah
    Rivercrazy, do you have a number for Mondello? I too am getting "steam" out of the breathers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast