Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CANCELLING THE BLOWER SECTION!!!

lakesmodified
    After looking at the Westech Dyno numbers of yet another unblown engine making over 700HP with pump fuel, I have to ask: "Why build blown motors?" Seems like a huge waste of money, just to have another chunk of aluminum to polish after every trip to the lake. Besides, I can make more power with just a tunnel ram, dual 750 DP's and a trip to Westech!
    Sorry HB, I couldn't resist starting another forum topic...

no, no, average blower motors make well over 1200 hp on the dyno.

lakesmodified
    Rexone:
    no, no, average blower motors make well over 1200 hp on the dyno. Damn, I was cheated..... I'm only at 600~650.. Of course, that's an estimate NOT a dyno proven number!

Infomaniac
    I'm not going there any more. Lost a lot of credibility questioning dyno numbers.
    I guess I am just Old School. Regardless of the hundreds of engines I ran on the dyno or built.
    The new technology is just beyond me I guess.
    Interesting we made Well Done's boat go 120+ with 970 HP.
    [ June 20, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

GofastRacer
    lakesmodified:
    After looking at the Westech Dyno numbers of yet another unblown engine making over 700HP with pump fuel, I have to ask: "Why build blown motors?" Seems like a huge waste of money, just to have another chunk of aluminum to polish after every trip to the lake. Besides, I can make more power with just a tunnel ram, dual 750 DP's and a trip to Westech!
    Sorry HB, I couldn't resist starting another forum topic... sleeping sleeping

Big Proppa
    I think alot of credit needs to be given to the builder - I also think the numbers coming out of Westech are true - I find it hard to believe in some cases but you know what, I don't build engines for a living so how would I know. Maybe blower motor performance is limited by budget, maybe for a certain price range you can get alot more out of a natural motor, but I do think if you have the money to build a motor that will fully utilize the boost potential of a blown application it will make alot more horse power than a naturally aspirated motor - I currently have a 468 w/ and 871 blower on it - I would hope to make 1000 horse with it one of these days.
    just my opinion
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16MVC-718F-med.JPG[/img]

bigkatboat
    Everybody has new news to report, but horsepower is only one part of the story. Torque moves the load, and most long lasting Bravo drive boats make the power under the 5250 math line. Depending on cyl. head work you can make a 427 @ 7500RPMs or a 572 @ 4900RPMs make the same 600HP. THE TORQUE CURVE will be VERY different and that is the TRUE story. An 1800 lbs flatbottom can be geared to use any motor, but a 4000 lbs "Bravo Cat" will 'like the 572 and almost live with the 427. Dyno figures show, we can make a 605 cu in motor, (normally asperated) pull harder than a 509 with 7 lbs boost, up to 5000 RPMs. The blower then 'out breathes' the N/A motor. I have found that, most people with blowers, like the NOISE, and most people with carbs./EFI, like to have a 'sun deck' for the girls. I do have a combination that makes over 1300 HP N/A out of 460 cu in, it just has to run 9600 RPMs. Just right for a Bravo, right? eek!

burbanite
    Infomaniac:
    Lost a lot of credibility questioning dyno numbers.Not in my book.....

Fiat48
    All I can say is the best "water brake" dyno there is = A boat.

Fastnuf
    I do have a combination that makes over 1300 HP N/A out of 460 cu in, it just has to run 9600 RPMs. Just right for a Bravo, right? Warren Johnson should have you build his Pro Stock motors. He can't get 1300 HP out a 500" N/A motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast