Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CANCELLING THE BLOWER SECTION!!!

bigkatboat
    Fastnuf, if you think WJ is making less than 1300HP, and going in the 6's you are lost! This motor has a ton of mid and upper RPMs, and holds very little cyl pressure under 3000RPMs. It is all in how you MAKE the power and WHERE you MAKE the power. In a flat bottom this motor rocks, but in a bigger boat it would not get on plane, cause it makes HORSEPOWER, not TORQUE! By the way the cam is supposed to be a WJ grind (I doubt it) and with 1.8 rockers it has .904" lift (ten runs on a set of springs) The post that talks about 750 HP from most blown motors is RIGHT ON, because the internal parts, and the blower size, along with the motor life vs. power output are the overpowering factors in a reliable 'play' motor. That 750 HP blower motor will make at least 800 LBs of torque over more than 3000 RPMs, and that will move the "load" and pull a boat up to a 'nice' top speed. A 750 CU IN motor will make the torque too, but a smaller blower motor will do it for less money. smile_sp

big proppa your going to have a hard time making 1000hp.i had a 471 with a 871 merlin 345's worked clay smith 310b cam running 12 to 14# boost on av gas never dynoed but built by the best goerge at clay smith.he said it should be making right under 800hp.

Infomaniac
    burbanite:
    The dyno was originally developed to allow comparisons to be made and used as a tool to furthur development. That intent is still there when you talk about the dynos that are not available for "public use".
    In my little world, each week we have anywhere from 8 to 12 engines that are run on the regular dynos, we use them to judge consistency and power gains relative to we had before. Do we care about the numbers?, sure we do but experience tells us whether or not those numbers ring true, the proof is always there on race day.
    Our engines (of a given spec) are always within 5 hp of each other at an absolute maximum and that is all I need to know.
    New specs spend a lot of time in comparison runs on the two transient dynos before they become available to test, it would be immediately evident if there were erroneous numbers.
    I have been involved with several different manufacturers in the past 20 odd years and know that fudging numbers is childs play to detect. Numbers are great to have but only as a comparison to whatever it is that you are doing with your particular engine The best use for a dyno. Measuring the effect of changes made to the same engine. Not trying to get the highest score.
    My personal use is to see exactly where the engine makes power. However much power that is. And prop the boat accordingly.
    [ June 25, 2003, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

DEL51
    Well, I agree with some of you on both sides of the issue. I have been a victim of exagerated power output and received benefits from a conservative approach.Infomaniac stated it best regarding engine dynamics. The tool of measurement is controlled by a computer, generates adequate baseline data and allows you to make real world anaylisis.It is up to the operator to be honest with herself on the correction factor,"472"'s point.The 1/4 mile argument is valid assuming variables are at a minimum.I must admit that my dyno experience is about a 6 different engines for different applications, some of the engines were for circle track guys that are competitors with each other.What did I do on the Dyno? Well, I did What I was told to do, and don't screw up,JK.I helped with the simple things but in the beginning I also helped install the Dyno and have a good understanding of how they work. My engine did gain 160hp from carbueration and timing changes. My baseline was so out of whack and erratic that no plug checks could have steered me in the right direction. what I would expect from a N/A 496 in proportion is maybe a 70 hp change, assuming his baseline was as screwed up as mine.Dynos are different.Mine was dynoed on DTS and westech used superflow. the best comparison is HB's seat of the pants feeling and happiness.I do not really think he cares too much about the numbers, as long as he sees an adequete increase in performance and can stir the pot a little.I am happy for him and think the engine looks Great.Info refered to himself as old school. To me, that means being honest with yourself and if you disagree, speak up ! Don't kiss ass.New school is everbody wins! I am still learning and not an engine builder, but enjoy the whole shebang.I have seen a 20 hp increase from headers of similar dimesions on the same motor.
    [ June 25, 2003, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: DEL51 ]

burbanite
    The best use for a dyno. Measuring the effect of changes made to the same engine. Not trying to get the highest score.
    My personal use is to see exactly where the engine makes power. However much power that is. And prop the boat accordingly. Bingo!
    A dyno is intended to be used as a tuning tool. They have just become popular because people like to put a number on the amount of power they just created with no intention of putting it back on the dyno each time they change something. That's fine as long as they realize that the figure could be "ballpark".
    I'd love to see a true dyno comparison, doubt it would happen though, I don't have the money to do it and magazines tend to shy away from things that piss off potential advertisers.

Big Proppa
    Boatnam - Your probably right, I'm sure I'll have to spen alot more money for the extra 200 horse.
    hope to see you guys sometime soon
    [ June 25, 2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Big Proppa ]

Blown 472
    web page
    Go to tech talk and "dyno dividens"
    [ June 25, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

superdave013
    GofastRacer:
    Fiat48:
    All I can say is the best "water brake" dyno there is = A boat. I'll go along with that!.. And raceday's on sunday!

Infomaniac
    bump for first page of archive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123