Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for all you lathe and mill experts!

TripleThreat
    I am looking at buying a lathe or a combo lathe/mill machine. I would like something in the range of 9" x 20" for the lathe. Where would you guys recommend I look for a quality and cost effective unit? I have seen units at Harbor Freight, are they any good? I would like a unit that has accessories are available. In other words I don't want to buy a unit that parts were discontinued back in the 50's. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
    [ January 24, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: TripleThreat ]

superdave013
    Ah, just starting out with your first machine.
    I would stay away from the all in one combo machines.
    And I would stay away from Harbor Freight too.
    I have an import lathe and mill. Mine are both ACRA brands. I really like the mill and the lathe is so so. The mill has a 9x49 table and the lathe is a 13x42.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the China ones are the bottom of the heap. The ones made in Taiwane are much better.
    I also have an Enco mill/drill and for what it is it's not bad. It's the one with the 4" collum and you can do much more with it then you could with comb mill/lathes.
    [ January 24, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

challengerjet
    finally something that I know something about. Bottom line, what's your budget, that determines what kind of machine you'll end up with. Do you want manual, dro with powerfeeds, cnc? Acra makes a good machine but let me tell you, there are some really good deals out there right now, machinery sales biz is in the crapper.
    cjet

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey Triple Threat. Contact V-drive, he can answer any questions you have about this stuff. He has been a Machinist for 35 years. Make sure you let him know what you are looking to accomplish with purchasing a piece of equipment. He will not steer you wrong. And DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HARBOR FREIGHT........ANYTHING. You get what you pay for, especially with tools and machinery.

superdave013
    challengerjet:
    finally something that I know something about. Bottom line, what's your budget, that determines what kind of machine you'll end up with. Do you want manual, dro with powerfeeds, cnc? Acra makes a good machine but let me tell you, there are some really good deals out there right now, machinery sales biz is in the crapper.
    cjet LOL, I guess you would know!
    If your slow let's do a ride sometime. I don't care where. Whitting's ok with me.

challengerjet
    unfortunately one of the few things i know about is machine tools. couldn't run one if i had to but do know where to find a deal on one.
    i'm up for a ride. you're gonna have to wait on my fat ass to get up the hill. I have to carry up an O2 bottle with me. what are your days like. I could go any day next week. let me know.
    cjet

superdave013
    challengerjet:
    unfortunately one of the few things i know about is machine tools. couldn't run one if i had to but do know where to find a deal on one.
    i'm up for a ride. you're gonna have to wait on my fat ass to get up the hill. I have to carry up an O2 bottle with me. what are your days like. I could go any day next week. let me know.
    cjet I get off work at 3:00 but that still gives time for a quick loop around Whitting. Or you could scope out the Oaks. That's my main stomping grounds. Don't worry about going up. I'm a downhiller so climbings not my thing for sure.
    You know, I might just go for a ride after work today. If your up for it give me a ring a 174 814 2503.

spectras only
    I have an older Hercus [australian] 9" lathe.One thing about some manufacturers; the ones they have their own foundaries are the best because of quality control.When I got my lathe in the 60's ,the manual mentioned that ,the materials were naturally aged by sitting in their yard for 5 years before being machined.I know they doing it now electronically .I'm old school and like some things done the old fashioned way.I wouldn't by a chineese or one from taiwan. Had a siemens milling machine ,that I've sold.I have milling attachment for my lathe for small stuff only.
    [ January 24, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

SchellSchock
    Buy a lathe with a conversational CNC control, ie: Prototrak or similar. That way you can use it as a conventional while learning and then do trick stuff like tapers, male female spherical radii and such.
    Just for background: Been in the "trade" since 1969, machinist, tool maker, manufacturing engineer, engineering manager, general manager, and shop owner.

TripleThreat
    I have limited... correction... VERY limited knowledge of lathes and mills. My current vision of what I would like is this:
    1. Diameter: at least 7 inches (preferably 9”)
    2. Between centers: at least 14 inches (preferably 20”)
    3. Automatic feeding and thread cutting
    4. Not a crappy unit
    5. Under $700 (possible?)
    I don’t think I want to pick up one with CNC control (ChaChing!) until I am a little more experienced. At that time I will upgrade to a bigger and better unit.
    Right now all I am looking to use this for is creating paint ball gun barrels, RC Car parts, and anything else my imagination comes up with. Anybody know of a good website for quality used machines?
    I have been looking at this one. What do you think?
    http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/82710.html
    Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast