Thread: Another BBF Alt mount question

BigBlockBaja
    Hey ALL, Just finished up my altenator mount a couple of days and was wondering what some of the experienced croud had to say about it. It works good and seems rock solid. Any input?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...36100_0381.JPG
    Thanks,
    Pat

Hallett19
    I think it looks ok, it doesnt look like that aluminum top piece is all that thick or sturdy, but if it doesnt flex at all, it should be fine. Is it bolted to your water pump cover ???? :frown:

That will work fine, although I didnt have that aluminum piece on mine and never had a issue. Get rid of the belt though, it looks like a Gates fractional horspower belt and they belong on lawn mowers and such. :wink:
    F.J.

AmericanThunder1
    Looks good I think I will give it a try on my BBF. I saw the green belt and thought the same thing! "Lawn mower belt"

WriedtStuff
    Hey Pat,
    I have to build a mount for my alternator....I have the top stud that is mounted to the head....but I need to build the adjustable turnbuckle on the bottom. Can you tell me what you used and where you bought it?
    Thanks!

spectratoad
    That is probably a two eye turnbuckle maybe 3-5 inches and you can get them at hopme depot or lowes or whatever.

If'n you're gonna replace the belt, I'd go with one a little shorter. Try to keep the turnbuckle adjusted so there aren't many threads exposed as it'll be stonger if not screwed out quite so far. There's actually a spec on how many threads should be exposed vs. how many are to remain in the barrel. It's like 2/3's in the barrel and 1/3 exposed (or some such thing).
    I have a similar setup on mine, but have to redo it. I mounted the pivot point of the alternator to the engine plate (sorta upside down from your setup). It causes a pulley mis-alignment as it's on a different angle than the crank pulley. There's also too much flexing going on at higher rpm (despite the engine plate being 3/8" thick aluminum). It causes the belt to sling off. I'm going back to mounting it on the cylinder head, but have to remove some engine plate so it will clear and make up some sort of hanger so all the weight isn't on that single bolt (similar to what you've done there).

BigBlockBaja
    Thanks for all the input guys.. As for the belt.. I went to a napa auto parts store and asked for a belt that was the same measurement as My make up rope was. That was what he gave me. Now that I know what it is, It will be replaced and will keep that as a spare.
    Hallet19, Yes. It goes to a water pump plate bolt. I replaced that one bolt with a grade 8 bolt. Its just holding the brace I made for the alt. bolt.
    WriedtStuff, You can get that turnbuckle at and hardware store. There cheap and have different sizes for your application.
    Hey Squitcha? !! Long time no talk.. Hows things going? I remember your posts about this issue on RJB site and thats why I used that support brace. I agree with you on the belt length.. Its a 37" belt.. When I get another, correct belt, Im going to get a 36" belt to bring that turnbuckle in some. I also used a grade 8 bolt into the head also to try and keep it strong.

Hallett19
    Originally posted by BigBlockBaja
    Hallet19, Yes. It goes to a water pump plate bolt. I replaced that one bolt with a grade 8 bolt. Its just holding the brace I made for the alt. bolt.
    Ok, good idea. I just know when I was putting my boat back together I had a few of those bolts strip, it seems like a weak mounting point but if you feel confident about it, and with a better bolt it sounds like its good. Or what about a bolt with a stud (im sure there is a name for them) and then a nut to hold on the bracket ? Just remember, nothing sucks more than being stuck over something you could have avoided I really dig the Ford blue, I went with the dove grey for mine but I was thrown up between the 2 colors !!! Now just get a coat of that blue on the brackets !!

Jake W
    Some food for thought.When you guys are making up your turn buckles.Instead of using the cheap Home Depot turn buckles go to a gocart shop and get one made fo a racing cart it will be made out of heim joints and alum and you can polish it up and it will be alot stronger.I did mine that way had to cut it shorter and just retaped it and polished it up it was like 20 bucks so there not that much.
    And there is no need for that top brace.
    Jake