Thread: Difference between MSD RTR Dist Auto vs Marine?

King on the River
    What is the difference between a Pro-Billet ready to run distributor for marine application vs the auto application. A tech at MSD told me that there was virtually no difference. I'm sure there's many out there who run an auto dist on boat.
    Thanks

HammerDown
    Well my Mallory Marine distributor has a (cute) little spark arrestor screen in it.
    Oh yea, and because of that little screen it was much more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I read on here the diffrence is that the marine dists are sealed and will not corrode (sp?) from the weather/water where the auto ones will start to have problems after a while.
    Who knows, i'm going to be purchasing one soon and i'm not sure what i'm going to go with yet. I'd rather not waist my money on a auto one if it's just going to go bad in a year or two.
    You people that run MSD Dists. Post whether you run marine or auto and how long you have been running it and if you've ever had any problems. That should help us find out if it's really a problem.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I have been running a unilite in my BBF for about 4 seasons now with absolutely no problems. BTW, auto distributors are sealed also to prevent corrosion. That is why you can take them to the car wash and wash the engine. I think the marine distributor has a flame arrestor built into it. I personally think it is uneccessary on an open engine boat but under a cover maybe I truly think it boils down to price. the distributor manufacturers know if they tag one with the word 'marine' they can hike the price up. It's like buying parts for a 'sports car'.
    Omega

RandyH
    I had an automotive MSD Pro Billet installed by mistake. Then I exchanged it for the marine version. The Marine had two copper screens installed in the bottom and a different type of GM connector going to the Box. Other than that they are identical. Same rotor, same guts, same cap. I guess I just feel better knowing its marine because I have an enclosed hatch. If I didnt, I wouldnt pay more for one.
    RandyH

Definately use the marine if under an engine cover. If you've ever seen film of a boat exploding from ignition of fuel vapor you know what I'm talkin about. Not where you wanna be.

Cheap Thrills
    Originally posted by Rexone
    Definately use the marine if under an engine cover. If you've ever seen film of a boat exploding from ignition of fuel vapor you know what I'm talkin about. Not where you wanna be.
    Been there , done that !
    heres my story
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ighlight=worst
    C.T. :wink:

FoMoCo
    I run a MSD Pro billet on my BBF open engine. worked great for about a season then, started to get corossion inside all the time. I have to clean it about one a month.