Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I should give up...anyone got a bare hull for sale?

WriedtStuff
    I am really getting tired of finding surprises in the old Wriedt hull I am trying to restore....sometimes you have to cut you losses and move on....maybe if I can find another bare hull at a reasonable price...I will just scrap this one and start over....anybody got anything intersting....I realize I am on the east coast and most of you guys are west of the ole miss....but I would take a trip for the right boat at the right price....
    Thanks

berk
    why not a bare aluminum hull from up north? they are good for well over 100 mph, plus they make a cool beer can sound when they hit stuff! 8500 bone$

rssfla
    Frustrating I know, Trust me. We bust our ass and have to think if it will be worth it in the end. What you need to do, and I think you have, is first decide what you want when you are finished. If you want the fastest badass boat around, run from your project and buy something you know more about. If you want just a fun lake boat that you will be proud to say you built, then keep working on it and ask questions as you go.
    I decided when I started that I just wanted something different, loud and obnoxious but cool to look at. I know it wont be a speed demon, but I'll be proud to say that I built it and it was my first. And I'm trying to keep the budget from getting out of hand. Some of the guys have huge money in their boats, and it shows, some awsome stuff on here. If I knew then ( when i bought it ) what I know now, i would NOT have made the initial purchase. Olds motor, most guys don't like them, jacuzzi pump, ditto. But its what i have and i'm going to make it work for me. We all have been to a local car show where a guy has a car that we wonder, what was he thinking, but you have to admire the hard work he put into it. Different strokes for different folks. Good Luck Brother!

WriedtStuff
    Rss...I could not have said it better myself....I am not looking for a race boat either...but I do like the sound and wanted to have it look nice....but now I am worrying about it's reliabilty...If you have seen my other posts....you will know that I have a really big problem right now....I had a similiar one a month or so ago when I found a patched hole in the bottom right at the transom....patched with Bondo also....I decided to go on and repair that hole and it worked out OK, and it is very strong now....But my concerns now are since I have found another patch job....how many more are there...I can just see my 1st trip to the water ending up with all my work sitting on the bottom of the lake.....I had never worked seriously with fiberglas before I started this project so that is why I paniced when I saw the hole near the transom....but with the advice of this board and a local speed shop...I was able to correct it....just don't have much confidence in myself to repair the hole I have now.....and the budget is getting really thin.....

BigBlockBaja
    I agree with rssfla.. I made a poor choice on hulls also, I think, and Im making the best of it. I say stick with it and show your hard work. Mine was a basket case and is finally comming around.. Most here have seen my pump, and its an ugly, neglected one. But it works.. So Im working with what I got.. Wriedstuff, I say keep up the work..

rssfla
    do the repairs, learn something, don't spend high $ on paint yet, buy a bigger bilge pump! jk
    The motor won't go bad, if you have to swap hulls later.
    Its not like the fiberglass will fall off and the boat sinks stright to the bottom. Looks like you are doing good so far!
    I have followed you other post.

MizBubba
    Originally posted by WriedtStuff
    I am really getting tired of finding surprises in the old Wriedt hull I am trying to restore....sometimes you have to cut you losses and move on....
    Thanks
    Hold on, and keep plugging, if you can. We just finished up our Wriedt Spoiler.
    When we bought the hull, we went through something very similar, except the hole was in the bottom, and was over 10 inches long! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ockpit-med.jpg
    Finishing this project was one of the most satisfying things I've done!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...060007-med.JPG

MoJetBoPar
    Keep it. Fix it. You'll learn more from it and know the boat completely.
    I gave away, literally, a 74 Wreidt Stinger that had rotted stringers and the rh side of the transom was splitting away from the side of the hull. And to make matters worse, I cut the transom off to replace the plywood and get at the stringers. The gentleman that picked it up was very tactful and polite when he picked it up and within a year had it out on the water.
    My limited experience with fiberglass is that it can bond and be VERY strong when properly applied. Easy to grind down and start over too.
    The more I work on my old Beaterboat, the more I like it.

WriedtStuff
    Thanks for all the words of encouragment guys....I really need it right now.
    This boat has been a major project....I knew when I bought it that some of the wood would have to be replaced....but just like the bottom...the more I dug the more I found.....
    To Date, I have already replaced both stringers, the whole transom, the complete floor and rebuilt the single stringer under the floor. This also included the re-attachment of the deck and the hull in several placed along the transom.....did I mention the hole I had to repair on the bottom near the transom that I found was previously repaired with a big hunk of bondo.....
    Now I still have to decide how to fix this huge hole in the bottom and decide if I have the skills to do so.....and decide if it can be done without ripping up the new floor I just installed....and figure out if my repaired fuel tank is going to work before I glass it back in place.....and so on and so on......
    I just have reservations about this boat....someone has obvioulsy done allot of poor repairs on it....is it worth the time and effort to put it all back together only to find there is another problem after I get it to the lake? Then start all over again....or is it better to find a hull that I know is sound and be done with it....
    I also have to say that I have lost some confidence in myself......I really don't know anything about fiberglass work...I just thought on the minor non structural things....that I could do it....but what if I make this repair and I don't do it right? Hit a big wake and my work fails and I start sinking....I wouldn't really look forward to going to the lake with that looming over my head....I certianly would not take my family.
    Just really frustrated right now.....

BrendellaJet
    Keep it. That hole is not a difficult repair at all. Sand down to the original gel on the whole baot, by doing that you will see where ALL the poor repairs are at. Fix them, and be done with it. If you can replace the stringers in a boat, you can likely take care of any patch work you come across.
    If your questioning your glassing abilities, try HavasuBarneys website. Its a little slow over there, but ForknCrazy and JBB are on their game, they can help you. Also try the fiberglass forum over at screamandfly.com. Lots of help over there too.
    Welcome to the club. Last time I had my baot out I was about 20 miles from laughlin down river, and it was taking on water, bilge pump wasn't pumping. I was freaked. Got the bilge pump unclogged and that put my mind at ease. But the boat was torn apart and I found not a lot of repairs, just a bunch of holes. Now they are fixed and I know every inch of my hull like the back of my hand. If theres a problem in the future, Ill know why and how to fix. When you buy someone elses hull, you are buying their problem. I wouldnt do that any more than I had to.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast