Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I should give up...anyone got a bare hull for sale?

Rampager
    The way I see it you have the most important "skill" there is for a project like this: the common sense to ask questions!
    I don't think anyone who's ever undertaken to fix/repair/restore something has not had those days/times when they wanted to just forget it all. Im sure those same people will also tell you those days/times are forgotten pretty quickly the first time you use your project, or the first time someone makes a big deal of how cool or sweet your project looks when its done. As was said above there is no better feeling than knowing you resurrected something yourself. Hang in there, Im sure there have been much much worse projects undertaken than that. Keep pluggin away, you'll get there...
    Cheers
    p.s. this ended up taking 8 years to build cause of various delays(university etc) but it was well worth it! Its my wooden hull, Glen-L "Rampage"
    www.geocities.com/toguy12345/pass2.JPG
    www.geocities.com/toguy12345/bsmall.jpg
    (click the link, delete the http thingy then hit enter)

WriedtStuff
    Again,
    Thanks guys....you are an inspiration!
    I have contacted a fiberglass materials dealer in Rhode Island...and sent him pics of my problem...he is going to tell me what materials I need.....he recommended using an epoxy resin instead of the polyester.....it that what I should use? If so did I screw up by using polyester resin on all the other repairs I have already done? I am in my 4th gallon on Poly resisn.....If it takes that much epoxy resisin...then I will certainly be over budget.....

BrendellaJet
    No, dont use the epoxy resin. Use the polyester. The boat was far more than likely to have been made with that, so stick with it. You should not need more than a quart or so in my opinion to make the repair.
    Just get some multi directional mat, 2oz thick. You will want to make sure the wound is completely clean. I would glass form the bottom of the boat first. Make it a big patch, so it has lots of hull to grab to. I would grind a foot or so square around, so you can build without having to sand it all away to make it even with the hull, lay 4 oz of glass there. Then flip the boat, and proceed to fill in the hole with pieces cut to fit. Make sure you get all of the air bubbles out, you want a good bond. Once you have filled the hole, id make a patch on both sides of that stringer, and tie the repair into it as well. I know you dont want to cut a hole in that floor, but your are gonna have to if you want it done right.

CARLSON-JET
    I have to agree with the majority here, but I wanted to add an idea. get the bottom work finished up. get it back together and go have some fun. it will motivate you alot more then if you try to do it all at once. to me the whole idea of a boat is to enjoy it .. not just work on it all the time. last year I spent months making my 73 CV-19 Carlson look nice . I did all my own interior, paint, flooring,wiring, and trailor work. I got to enjoy a few months at the end of summer which motivated me to do more this year. now I'm on the pump and converting from an Olds to a BBC. I Will definatly be happy to get rid of the olds but sort of miss the nostalgia part of it and the being a little different. I also wish I would have been better prepared with a powerplant ready to slip in instead of having to rebuild one at this point in the year. to sum it up I am learning that good planning is an essential part of the proccess. keep up the good fight as long as thats what it is. also keeping realistic goals will make it easier to devide and conquer. I'm enjoying your posts on the project, keep em comming and remember that your also adding encouragement to others to tackle something new. GO MAN GO!!! R.B.

Back Forty
    Stick with it wreidtstuff! Like others have said you seem to have the common sense going for yourself. You'll be alright. Here is a internet supplier I and others have been using.
    http://www.fibreglast.com/
    I took a couple of shots of my hull this morning like I said I would do. I wanted to say that these hulls were designed with racing in mind from the begining. Not jets but out boards. They have heritage.
    Mine is a Glastron/Carlson 19' and is basicly original. The pics may not be so revealing but maybe it'll help. Mines a berkley pump.

Back Forty
    more
    You can see the dropped skeg.

Back Forty
    Pump intake

Back Forty
    From the transom forward.
    Like yours these have a wood stringer in the center. These are stout boats.
    These guys were doin 80mph + in rough water with this basic design.
    courtesy of Tom Browns site!
    http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/i...p?showtopic=89
    I linked this from the same site. Hope you don't mind Tom.
    Same basic hull as your aired.
    http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/u...1077993256.jpg

Rampager
    I have limited experience with polyester resins but a fair amount with epoxy's.
    Its my understanding that epoxy's rarely are, and shouldn't be, used as "stand alone" resins. By that I mean they are more suited for bonding some kind of fibre's to other structural members i.e. covering a wood boat with a thin cloth for waterproofing and durability.
    F1 cars do however use forms of epoxy and carbon fibre alone but the types you are likely to find are primarily for bonding "stuff" . West System as an example would be pretty brittle to try to make a glass boat with on its own. Regardless of how strong the fibre is it would crack easily
    Polyester resins on the other hand don't stick well to very much , including themselves actually(unless properly prepped) and aren't very good for bonding things but are very good for building stand alone structures i.e. boats They are more flexible and have the give needed when making a structure out of just 'glass alone
    I'd talk to a few more places about what resins would be best but hopefully that gives you a little insight to start with. I'd always seal wood with epoxy or use epoxy if trying to bond to something but if I was making something where the fibreglass were the primary structural element I would stick with Poly(its way cheaper too)
    I had a wood hull i raped hardware from years ago. it had a thin glass cloth on the bottom 'bonded' with Polyester resin. I only used the boat about 6 times and lost massive amounts of the cloth. I started inspecting the hull more closely and found there were air bubbles all over the place. The poly resin just didn't stick to the wood at all.
    Cheers

Bryan Rose
    Been through what you have been through... I am in Macon and just now have finished my boat for now, It is a long road but well worth it. anymore questions give me a P.M. or e- mail me directly.....
    You can check out the pics of my ride in the image center....under SteeperDude
    Bryan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast