Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what color gasket sealent

Kerny
    i want to put a little gasket sealent on the valve covers and was wondering will the blue rtv work or will black work better

HammerDown
    Man I hate to see ANY Silicone on the engine, except a touch on the oil pan.
    I've used Permatex (sp) Hi-Tac spray or brush can with excellent results on the valve covers. It doesn't get hard and wont cause any issues if some gets lose. But it's sticks nasty like gorilla snot!

I never use silicone on valve covers. Stick the gasket to the cover with Gasgacinch and call it good. If that's not working get better gaskets. Some of the thin cheap crap from the local auto parts store is just that. My experience anyway. And I hate rubber gaskets.

wet77
    Amen!
    Buy the good gaskets!!
    I put a set of thick black rubber type ones on my 460 4 years ago and never leaked again!
    Also they have been taken off many times checking valve lash ect...
    Buy the good stuff now!
    Or pay for the headaches later

DogHouse
    I've had good luck with the Felpro blue reusable silicone rubber gaskets with the plastic bolt hole inserts, no sealer, no leaks. I've pulled mine off probably half a dozen times and reused them, still no leaks. They're not cheap but you don't have to replace them very often.
    There's some black sealant called something like "the right stuff" that I used on an intake once. That stuff is bulletproof but not something you want to use on a part that you take apart very often.
    -brian

Fiat48
    Yeah the Felpro silicones or Chevy makes them also. Ineedav bought some Summit reuseable dealios and they looked pretty good also.

GofastRacer
    Those are the shit, you can't overtighten them, no sealer and you can use them over and over!..
    But if you use cork, plain white grease works the best!..

INEEDAV
    If you are interested in the Summit ones I bought they are part number
    BBC SUM-G2311, 14.95 page 167, bottom center in the current catalog
    They have a metal core with a black rubber on the outside. They fit real well and seem not to mash out when the covers were tightened at all.

fourspeednup
    If you do use silicone only put it on one side of the gasket, if silicone is on both sides the gasket could slip out of it's groove in the valvecover----I use super black RTV

Jet City
    I agree with HD, colored silicone looks like crap smeared all over an engine. I would use Hi-Tac, Gaskasinch or Indian Head for your valve covers, but only on the valve cover side, I like to leave the head side clean and dry, I've had my valve covers off 6-8 times with cork gaskets, still no leaks. As for silicone, it is usefull in some areas, I use clear silicone around the water passages on my intake and were the pan and timing cover meet, it's not high-heat, but it doesn't need to be either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast