Thread: Powdercoating headers

fourspeednup
    Would powdercoat live on a set of water injected headers? I know the ceramic jethot coatings are the way to go on high heat components(like exhaust) but I have a hookup on powdercoating through a friend so I could do it on the cheap. He told me the coating is good to 500* but I'd like your opinions before I go scuffing the chrome on a good set of headers

Jordy
    I think it would burn off or at the least discolor, especially down around the cylinders because if you remember, they're dry at idle.
    Spend the money and get them done with Jet Hot or the like.

PLACECRAFT20
    I HAD MINE DONE OVER THE ORIGINAL CERRAMIC. THEY LOOK GREAT AND HAVE NO DISCOLORATION SO FAR. IVE RUN THEM HARD AND EVEN OVERHEATED A MOTOR WITH THEM INSTALLED.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...524542-med.JPG

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by PLACECRAFT20
    I HAD MINE DONE OVER THE ORIGINAL CERRAMIC. THEY LOOK GREAT AND HAVE NO DISCOLORATION SO FAR. IVE RUN THEM HARD AND EVEN OVERHEATED A MOTOR WITH THEM INSTALLED.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...524542-med.JPG
    your header are water JACKETED not injected. big difference. I would think the injected headers get way too hot for powdercoating. I know I have a few nice tatoos from them drop the coin and do it the right way the first time.
    Omega

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    Would powdercoat live on a set of water injected headers? I know the ceramic jethot coatings are the way to go on high heat components(like exhaust) but I have a hookup on powdercoating through a friend so I could do it on the cheap. He told me the coating is good to 500* but I'd like your opinions before I go scuffing the chrome on a good set of headers
    You need a material applied that is tolerant to temps of perhaps 1500* F.
    LO

fourspeednup
    Thanks for the replies, it was a nice thought but looks like I'll be eating top ramen for awhile until I can round up a little $$$

PLACECRAFT20
    sorry for the misread on the header type. my buddy also has a powder coat shop. he did the lightnings for me. he has a hy temp powder coat that i believe comes in black and silver. the silver looks like ceramic coating. he has done several sets of car headers that still look good. i would think it would also hold up on the water injected fine. have your friend check on it.