Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help educate the new guy?

dean51267
    Hey guys, looking for some fast education on sport boats. I have a 20' Chapparal, selling it, buying a 31' profile offshore, but want to know more about different boats.
    What does a Cat do for you and what is the cost/benefit? I see them, they look cool, but why do folks build them?
    What extra maintenance and cost am I going to get into with a twin big block motor, other than the obvious double cost of fuel and routine maintenance.
    I was once an auto mechanic so I have some tech savvy.
    Thanks a million for your help.

CAHotRodBoy
    Cats are "air entrapment" hulls. As you pick up speed the air gets trapped under the hull and lifts the boat out of the water. The less boat in the water the faster it will go. They also corner flatter than a V hull. They usually don't have cabins and insurance is very high on them. My buddy (who owns a 38 Cig Top Gun) just told me about another buddy thats getting a 42' Skater with 1400 HP Zuls. Said insurance is going to be $28K a year! Could be BS but that is a big $ boat.
    I don't think there is any additional maint issues for twins besides what you said, 2 of everything. I went from a single Baja Outlaw to a twin Cigarette and costs certainly do go up. Oil, gas, any accy changes, etc. just multiply by 2! Also bigger boat = bigger trailer, more weight, bigger tow vehicle, more gas to pull it, more insurance, etc.
    Twins make docking easier though. Just twin stick it, hands off the wheel.

Kachina26
    Do plan to spend 2 to 3 times as much to insure a cat.

phebus
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    Do plan to spend 2 to 3 times as much to insure a cat.
    Unless it's a deckboat.

al cole'holic
    Originally posted by phebus
    Unless it's a deckboat.
    ..is this true for your Carerra??

phebus
    Originally posted by al cole'holic
    ..is this true for your Carerra??
    Progressive, $600. a year, max coverage

al cole'holic
    Progressive, $600. a year, max coverage
    ...I feel that if anything was to happen and they found out exactly what it was you would be SOL..??

phebus
    Originally posted by al cole'holic
    ...I feel that if anything was to happen and they found out exactly what it was you would be SOL..??
    When I talked to their agent, I explained exactly what I had. She took all the information, and said it had to go through underwriting, and if approved by them, I had no problem. Well they covered me, and on the policy it lists my make boat, model, engine horsepower and hull number. I don't know how I could have any problems, they know exactly what they insured. I was told that because it is a deckboat, it fell into a different classification then a closed deck air entrapment hull. It was their call.....

al cole'holic
    When I talked to their agent, I explained exactly what I had. She took all the information, and said it had to go through underwriting, and if approved by them, I had no problem. Well they covered me, and on the policy it lists my make boat, model, engine horsepower and hull number. I don't know how I could have any problems, they know exactly what they insured. I was told that because it is a deckboat, it fell into a different classification then a closed deck air entrapment hull. It was their call.....
    I would say you are a pretty lucky guy if everything is straight

rvrhlic
    I am paying around $700 a year on my magic deck. Went with the insurance company Magic recommended, it is cheaper than my 21' Lavey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast