Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plasma TVs

goneboatin
    I was looking for a new TV, (something larger), for the den. I was going to blow my wad on a plasma unit when another customer told that plasma is old technology, and don't waste my money. Plasmas are disposable too. The gas in them is good only for 5-7 years max. Don't get me wrong that plasmas look cool, but come on 10 large for a disposable tv? Oh yeah, don't let the kids play video games on them either, they suffer from burn-in.
    This customer also told me the way to go is an LCD projection TV - don't go with a DLP (digital light processing), it had a spinning mirror. The LCD projection just has a light that needs to be replaced every 2-3 year for about $120 now, problably cheaper as they become more popular.
    I found a Sony 60" for $3700, but fell in love with the XBR high zoot version for $5400, and nobodys making deals on these. Anybody got any of these that fell off the truck, or have the connection? PM me if any you peeps out there have any referrals.
    GB

riverliver
    I found a PANASONIC - PT-60LC13 60-IN LCD Multimedia Projection Display Television At Howards for $3299 and found lots of cheaper deals on th net for around $2700 but they are all in NY.. I have a hard time sending that kind of money over the net to some tv sales guy...

goneboatin
    I've heard of stories from people who bought TV's on the net and they turned out to be grey market one's. They're bound for other countries and if the serial numbers show that, manufacturer will void the warranty. So, I have reservations about sending that much money on my credit card for something I have no control over. Plus like you said, riverliver, they're all in New York and the east coast. Maybe I'll check out Howard's. Thanks for the tip.

MagicMtnDan
    Go to Costco and pick yourself up a 64" RPTV for $1999 - it's a Pioneer SD-643HD5 - uses CRT technology in a rear projection unit delivering high quality at a very attractive price.

XClutchboy725
    Check with ROZ here on the boards. He hooked me up with the Sony 50" Grand Wega at an unbelievable price!
    I think that XBR is one that he can't do the killer deal on right now, but I could be wrong...

DOHARA
    LCD's are the way to go compared to a plasma's. I shopped around for a while and went with a toshiba cinema series 51" HD projection tv and love it. I got a good deal at pacific sales. tv and a solid wood entertainment center, delivery, setup & 6 year warranty for 2900.00 out the door. Always remember that your picture quality will depend on your service providers signal quality. I would check out mitsubishi's diamond series or toshiba's cinema series 91 or 93hx models if you go with a crt rear projection. LCD if you want to spend the cash.
    Good luck. TV shopping is a pain in the ass.
    ROZ is good person to talk to.
    Dano

carbonmarine
    *** MAKE SURE YOU NEW TV IS HDMI ENABLED ***
    Very important...... all dvd's,Set Tops, stereos and H Theaters components will be HDMI after July - Its all digital interface..
    www.hdmi.org
    Rick32

Steamin' Rice
    Check with Roz.............

ROZ
    Originally posted by carbonmarine
    *** MAKE SURE YOU NEW TV IS HDMI ENABLED ***
    Very important...... all dvd's,Set Tops, stereos and H Theaters components will be HDMI after July - Its all digital interface..
    www.hdmi.org
    Rick32 DVI and HDMI are compatible with each other in both directions...

ROZ
    Originally posted by goneboatin
    Plasmas are disposable too. The gas in them is good only for 5-7 years max. Don't get me wrong that plasmas look cool, but come on 10 large for a disposable tv? Oh yeah, don't let the kids play video games on them either, they suffer from burn-in.
    GlastronGuy posted a link to the 10 big myths about plasma tv. You need to read it. Disposable? gas is only good for 5 years? Any tv using pospherous will burn it if you have a static picture on it for 12 hours a day for 6 months.... I've seen plenty of direct and rearprojection tv's come in with burn in over the years....
    This customer also told me the way to go is an LCD projection TV - don't go with a DLP (digital light processing), it had a spinning mirror. The LCD projection just has a light that needs to be replaced every 2-3 year for about $120 now, problably cheaper as they become more popular. The mirrors don't spin. A color wheen spins... It to has a bulb.... the bulbs(DLP and LCD rear projection) are generally good for thousands of hours... How much tv do you watch?
    I found a Sony 60" for $3700, but fell in love with the XBR high zoot version for $5400, and nobodys making deals on these. Anybody got any of these that fell off the truck, or have the connection? PM me if any you peeps out there have any referrals.
    GB
    Not enough available to fall off a truck.... The xbr and the WE610 share the same light engine asembly. Unless you need the HD tuner or like another feature(s) on the XBR, it's a waste of money.
    Just my .02

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast