Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinking Stories

topless
    I know an idiot who restored an old jet boat and decided he didn't need a plug so he sealed the hole up. Now thats a boat just waiting to sink.:eek!:

sleekster
    first time out got distracted trying not to take to long at the ramp forgot the butt-plug started it up water goes flinging in the air from the flex plate i am trying to see where it is coming in not realizing i am going down fast wife finally gets my attention and i just barely make it on the trailer before it sunk right there at the launch.

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
    At Mojave about 2 years ago, a jet boat was camped along side of a houseboat and overnight the boat started taking in water. They had nothing to get the water out with and the bilge pump would not work. The boat was ready to go down. We were driving by and they flagged us down. Our buddy took one of the girls back into the marina with our boat so she could back the trailer into the water. We waited about 15 minutes, fired the boat up, and pulled the plug (only way to get the water out) We told the guy to haul the mail back to the Marina (about 5 miles away) to get the water out. We told him whatever he did, don't stop! We followed him back in another boat. Full throttle right through the 5mph zone and right on the trailer. Pulled the boat out of the water and was fine. No problems. Found out later what caused it was the guy installed a set of dual batteries and when he did, he put 4 screws through the bottom of the boat. When the guy left the cove, the boat was ready to go down. When he pulled it out, I would guess about 5 gallons came out of it. Risky move intentionally pulling the plug, but only way to get the water out of the boat at times.
    Limited options and that was a smart move actually. I have to remember that one

diggler
    Hallett19, that drummer boy in your signature just ****ing kills me!!! ha ha!, that is the funniest damn thing I've ever seen!

dimarcobros
    We were about 3 seconds from going all the way under. This happened about 12 or so years ago. We were heading up river from havasu when a tour guide of wave runners came flying down river. There was two waves of these fokers. They were taking up the whole river, which is not very wide to begin with. My dad was driving and found a hole in the first wave to go through only to find a second wave right behind them. This little kid who had never been to the river before and turned out to be 13 was driving looking back at his friend or mom behind him, didn't even see us. My dad pulled off what was left of the throttle (we were cruising but slowed down when the wave runners came) and turned right, well the kid finally turned around but it was too late and turned hard right only to spin and the rear spun around and hit our boat right at the passenger seat. Made a hole about 4' by 4' and i have never seen so much water come in the boat so fast. My dad slammed the gas to get it over to shore and when we did there was so much water we were going about 3 mph. Luckily we were up river and were able to get over to shore just as the engine went under. I was young and pretty frightened at the time. We had to call the salvage boat to come up and tow us back. Luckily Up4River's family was behind us. The worse part is the famliy sued us and got paid.
    DMB

rivercrazy
    One time in my former jet boat, the inlet water line coming out of the pump to the "T" blew. Since I had a enclosed engine hatch, I didn't know water was quickly filling the bilge. But started noticing the engine temp was up so I back off the throttle and opened that hatch. Water was up to the top of the oil pan.....Glad I carried a spare section of hose that day......Didn't go down but it could have easily.
    Word to the wise in a jetboat, change that small section of water line annually. Cheap insurance......

Debbolas
    Never would have thought of pulling a plug to get water out of a boat

hd&boatrider
    Heres one of mine:
    I had recently bought a Southwind Jet and took it out to Needles. Went out there to meet up with Disco, Rivtoysjas, Fufu, the Boardsmnj and a few others...anyhow, Discos dad was there and he used to race boats and so forth. He and Disco wanted a ride so we jumped in and we took off. We head up past the bridge and I am smiling ear to ear as the boat was running great. We turn around to come back and Disco's dad starts yelling get to shore. Seems the engine was filling up with water fast. We barley get back to shore and have the pump running but it seems to still be taking on more water. I knew the plug was in but checked anyhow. We get it back on the trailer....I was a little apprehensive about driving it out on the water but had no choice. We bring it into the camping area and can not figure this out. Finally Disco climbs under the boat and sees the damage. A huge crack in the hull. Seems it was covered with fresh silicone and the water just ripped it away. Took it to Havasu Barney who got it taken care of. I am happy that I had some experienced people with me when this happened. If I would have been out there with kids I would have went down for sure and it could have been a major catastraphe. It all worked out in the end but I was pretty upset at the time.

Debbolas
    Someone sold you a boat with a huge crack that was covered in silicone, that came off in the water and your boat sunk?!?!

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Debbolas
    Never would have thought of pulling a plug to get water out of a boat
    They actually make the "duckbill" or automatic drain plugs that drain the bilge when you get up on plane. They work great, unless something gets into them... like sunflower seeds...Drains (http://www.rexmar.com/page157.html)
    Cuz if they get something in them, you are DOOMED... DOOOOMED...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast