Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinking Stories

Debbolas
    Learn something new everyday..........but that wouldn't work with my boat, right? (too big)

copperrat20
    When I bought my sanger hydro or better known as "project lost cause" the boat would not come off of the trailer at the launch ramp. So when we finally got it tom break free from the trailer, she started going under but with no signs of water in the boat. Well come to find out, since it had a floor in it that was sealed, the guy installed these seats out of jegs that I was ripping out anyway once I started the restoration. Well he screwed the seats in with 4 inch wood screws. Yes that is right folks right through the bottom of the hull. Not to mention the few holes that were in the bottom of the boat that were covered by the trailer bunks. So boat filled with water. Nothing I could do but drill holes in the stringer that separated the engine compartment from the air pocket under the floor to get the water out. Point of the story is - I bought the boat anyway. I wanted a resto project and something different from a family boat. But yes it sunk right off the trailer.

rivercrazy
    Another close call involved a Mastercraft 19 comp boat. It hadn't been run in a couple of years. We head out to the lake and once hitting the no wake bouy's we hit it. Noticing the water temp gauge was too high, shut down to pop the engine hatch. The seawater pump impeller failed causing a hole in the rubber exhaust hose. Since the exhaust is below the water line in that boat, water was gushing in at an incredible rate....
    We ended up having a roll of duct tape and thankfully we were drinking bud light (coors light cans are too skinny). We taped around the beer can and shoved it up the exhaust tip below the water line. It stopped the water flow and the bilge pump took care of the water. But it took quite a while!
    Never Never Ever Ever forget your beer. It can save your life and yur boat!

dimarcobros
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    Another close call involved a Mastercraft 19 comp boat. It hadn't been run in a couple of years. We head out to the lake and once hitting the no wake bouy's we hit it. Noticing the water temp gauge was too high, shut down to pop the engine hatch. The seawater pump impeller failed causing a hole in the rubber exhaust hose. Since the exhaust is below the water line in that boat, water was gushing in at an incredible rate....
    We ended up having a roll of duct tape and thankfully we were drinking bud light (coors light cans are too skinny). We taped around the beer can and shoved it up the exhaust tip below the water line. It stopped the water flow and the bilge pump took care of the water. But it took quite a while!
    Never Never Ever Ever forget your beer. It can save your life and yur boat!
    Sorry to hear about your boat but that is a great recovery story. That should be a commercial.
    DMB

Aqua Boogie1
    Last year camping at New Melones Res., I was towing people on the tube. Well I had my brother on it and was trying toss him, well I finally did and made a hard right turn to go pick him up. Just as I slowed down, the wake from me turning came into the boat. The boat went over one wake but the other two came in. Everyone was soaked and I just gunned it to get all the water to back of the boat to the bilge. And at doing that, almost hit my brother........gave me a good scare. I actually parked the boat for the rest of the day...........

SchellSchock
    My boat is a Ski-Fish. My brother and I are fishing offshore,(3 miles), from Ocean Beach. Using the intregrated livewell as a bait tank. Slow drifted for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Decide to leave and motor just bareley cranks over but starts. I had my brother look under engine hatch to see what was up, and as soon as he did water was spraying everywhere. I hit the throttle and the best we could get out of the boat was 8-9 MPH. Kept going, never did get on plane, made it back though we were both crappin' our pants. Seems the seal at the top of the live well leaked so water just kept pumping in. Lets see 3 hours at 250gph="OH S**T.

dimarcobros
    Originally posted by SchellSchock
    My boat is a Ski-Fish. My brother and I are fishing offshore,(3 miles), from Ocean Beach. Using the intregrated livewell as a bait tank. Slow drifted for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Decide to leave and motor just barley cranks over but starts. I had my brother look under engine hatch to see what was up, and as soon as he did water was sprying everywhere. I hit throttle and the best we could get out of the boat was 8-9 MPH. Kept going never did get on plane, made it back though we were both crappin' our pants. Seems the seal at the top of the live well leaked so water just kept pumping in. Lets see 3 hours at 250gph="OH S**T.
    Being on the lake or river when something goes bad is one thing, but miles of the coast in the ocean........ :frown: :eek!: :frown: :eek!: F that!!!
    DMB

Danhercules
    Originally posted by Wally_Gator
    Over on the Just Jet's page, this guy had an unfortunate problem.
    Check out this guy that just had a serious run in with water. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=49766)
    That did suck. The good news is I fired up the boat today, and headin to the river this weekend!!!!.
    It sure sucks watchin your boat go down. I could not belive how fast it goes. I am just glad no one was hurt.

HCS
    Me and my buddies have a tradition to go boating every New Years Day.
    Like alot of people.
    We'll this was a foggy cold day. We had 4 boats on the water
    at a lake by me called Folsom. "This was awhile back in my crazy
    days." We had all the booze you could drink and more.
    The boats where, a ski boat, that I was in of course, a day cruiser,
    and two hydro's. When we lauched the boats and headed out accross
    the lake, the fog was thick. After pounding down a few drinks,
    we decide it's speed run time in the fog. We were heading up
    one of the arms in the lake searching for sunshine. Well my buddies
    in their hydro's "throttle down" disapear a head of us in the fog.
    At that point I figure their f-ucking crazy. So we get seperated.
    Well, we cruise around looking for these guys. After looking for
    them for about an hour we hit sunshine. Were boatin along having
    a drink when I look over towards the shore and see my buddy
    holding on to his boat. I said to everyone on in my boat. "WTF
    is he doing." Well we head over towards him and we realize
    he's drunk off his ass with a big hole punch in the left front sponson,
    and another hole punch in the left back of the boat. He was
    hauling ass in the fog and got to close to the shore and punched
    2 holes in his boat. So it's not sunk at this point, he's holding it up
    on the shore. Well my other buddies come along in their boats
    and wander WTF is going on. So were all shootin the crap trying
    to come up with a solution to get it back to the launch ramp. I said
    why don't we go get some inner tubes, tie them to the boat and
    tow it in. Well being drunk, my buddy says give me hand and we'll
    push the boat off. I'll fire up and drive it back. I said, how the hell
    are you going to do that? He says, I'll fire up and plow with the
    sponson up in the air if any water goes in the hole in the front it
    will flow out the hole in the back. We thought about it for a minute
    and said to him,
    no way it won't work. Don't try it. So being drunk he says if
    we don't help him he'll do it himself. We tried to talk him out of it,
    but...he wouldn't listen. So he pushes the hydro into the lake and
    tries to fire it up. Guess what? He didn't take into consideration
    that it might not start. So, crank, crank, crank...bloop, bloop, bloop.
    Down it goes. All that's left is two white forks sticking up towards
    the sky.
    Then we had to go get some inner tubes, tie them to the boat
    and tow it back.

SoCalHD
    Although a boat 2 boats over from us sank in copper canyon last year. Too many people tried to get on the back of a jet boat and see ya. That thing went down QUICK
    Matt, was that boat a 19 foot Commander jet that probably looked late 80's early 90's Blue/light gray/ w/some green????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast