Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 455 blew please help out

NorCalSeahawkFan
    Originally posted by King Kuracz
    Sell off the unwanted Olds mounts and stuff on ebay while searching for deals on the BBC stuff in the off season. He can probably offset half the cost of the conversion parts.
    This is what I am doing right now.

Taylorman
    I rebuilt my olds last year and spent 2000 including machine work, new oil pan, pistons, bearings, oil pump, timing set. If cost is an issue, keep the olds. I doubt you can get a BBC in you boat running for $2000. I assembled my engine myself but had a machine shop bore and prepare all my parts. I put oil restictors in the mains and lifters and added an 8 qt pan.

rssfla
    I just spent about 2200 at the machine shop and 800 with mondello to build my olds. got back a running motor from the shop ( complete assemble & test run )
    We'll see how it goes. Boat hull is not ready yet.
    If I had it to do again? Tough decision, I already had all the olds stuff. was cheaper to do what i did.

RENEGADE 3#
    Just remember the olds stroke on the crank is 100 thousands longer then the bbc stroke. so you dont want to turn to many rpms without beefing up the bottom end. if you want to turn 6000 rpms or more all day long maybe you should go with a chevy. it will be cheaper in the end. THATS ONE OPINON! i turn my olds no more then 5400 rpms. BUT REMEMBER THE OLDS MAKES ALOT OF TORQUE AT LOW RPMS..:wink:

moneysucker
    Petrofied can tell you how to go about changing to a chevy and how much. He can also do a 455 for you. He ran one on NOS for a few years then kept it alive with a blower for a couple. He knows olds motors. PM him or get on the thread Petrofied, Moneysucker, Quack attack and contact him there. Ie pulled the olds from his hot dog boat and replaced it with a chevy. and he does have a line on parts for either way you choose. We are down here in san diego so it isn't far for you.

HotDogz
    Motor Machine Super Shops in Carmichael put mine together for about $4600 assembled including headwork and new intake and new block core. Runs really strong and is good to 5600 rpm.
    Engine has been outfitted with restrictors in the cam bearings, lifter bore, and crank journals. A Melling HV oil pump and 10 qt oil pan lube everything. Block was bored .060 over, crank journals were aline honed, rods were reconditioned, speed-pro forged pistons were used, crank was ground and polished, the whole assembly was balanced. I went with a CompCams 292 cam and Cloyes double roller timing chain and swapped out the stock aluminum rocker assembly because they cannot hold up to the additional pressure the new cam and springs will put on them. Stainless Ferrea valves were used also. If would have had the extra money at the time, I would have opted for Edelbrock heads. Maybe soon. The only thing original from the old motor were the rods, crank and heads. I now spin a "B" impeller to 5800 rpm.
    The Olds can be made to be made to be reliable. Attention needs to be paid the rotating assembly and oiling system. The Olds has specific needs, if you care for these, the Olds is a torque monster that will last for years.
    On a footnote; If had the money at the time, I would have swapped for a 502 or 454 just for the number of options that are out there for those configurations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123